Bulb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeteM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I loaned a tank set up to a friend and I recently got it back. The tank was returned with a Coralife 10000 K High-Intensity Purifed Super Daylight Bulb in the one bulb fixture in the hood. This tank is a 20 gal high. I would like to set up a planted tank. Is this bulb the proper one for low to medium light plants in this tank? Also, I'm not sure exactly how old this bulb is or how much its been used (I do know the tank has sat unused for the last 3 or 4 years). Would it be best to just replace it and, if so, with the same bulb or would another be better?

Hey PeteM,

If you can I would suggest changing out the bulb. That one you have sounds like a saltwater type bulb.

For new bulb suggestions, most bulbs that will be good for planted tanks will say so on the package so look around for plant suitable bulbs. Also for low to medium tech setup, try to aim for 1 to 2 WPG.

10000K bulb is perfectly fine for growing plants... I doubt a single tube T8 (I am assuming T8 ) is going to be sufficient for medium light plants though... it would probably be adequate for low light plants.

You will probably need about twice that amount of light if your aim is to grow medium light plants.

Back
Top Bottom