Bulb recommendations for 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Needs to be 24in looking for some good recommendations

The tank is a 30 long with a single 24in T8 fixture

Tank is mildly planted atm dosing with excel as Co2 will be getting root tabs within the week.

Any other information you might need let me know ill do my best.

So you can go to Menards or Home Depot or where ever and buy plant specific T8 bulbs that are 24 inches long. They are much cheaper at the home improvement stores. I use all sorts of shop light fixtures with plant bulbs from the home improvement stores. Just costs too much to buy bulbs with fancy packaging and brand names.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hm, figured some of these brand names might be plant specific and stuff. Good to know though, ill look into it.

Thanks

You will want to look for bulbs with a spectrum of 6700K which is ideal for plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hm, figured some of these brand names might be plant specific and stuff. Good to know though, ill look into it.

Thanks

Oh they are but they also have some of the same type of bulbs at the home improvement just not in nice boxes and for less. Or were you being sarcastic? I'm all about finding ways to spend more on the actual fish than the equipment.

Those dedicated plant bulbs at home.depot are super red/pink. No Bueno for tanks. I'd just hit up a 6700k like fresh said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They always have grown my low light plants just fine. Why is that not good for tanks?

For viewing fish it might seem a bit "off". I once bought a T-8 plant grow bulb (ZooMed) and everything looked pinkish. My blue danios appeared flesh colored. The light, while providing necessary wavelengths for plant growth, looked dim IMO. I returned it and put the stock 8000k back on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The brand I usually get is grow-Lux I believe. It's supposed to be for planted tanks. Not sure of the specs, I don't think I have a box laying around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I also got a good deal off an Amazon seller for hydroponics bulbs. I can't remember if they are T5 or T5 HO but I couldn't find them in any stores and they are making my plants grow nicely

There was an APC thread about light spectrum and plant growth and from what I understand as long as it's reasonable there isn't much of a growth difference. If you put a 15,000K actinic reef bulb, then maybe they wouldn't fare so well.

So get whatever looks best, probably 6000-8000 or so.

Back
Top Bottom