Bulb Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! It is the time of year where I change out to good old bulbs for my T5 HO Duel Lamp Fixture. I was wondering if maybe I should change up my bulbs this time around, maybe for a better look or something that would benefit the plants more.

At the moment, I have 1 650 nm bulb with 1 39 W 6000 K bulb. Would it make any difference if I'd up the Kelvins for the white bulb to say, 6700 K? I know that some people on here still use T5's, and I was wanting to see if anyone knew of the best combo (it seems like a majority of people have LEDs now ?). I know that the red bulb is most useful to plants, but I also know that the full spectrum is also appreciated. I'll note that when my plant stocking is complete, I'll have some plants that can bring out some reddish coloration (Crypts, Blyxa, Limnophila). Thanks!

Note: This tank has CO2 and is fertilized with PPS-Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I buy my T5 HO bulbs I buy one marked for plants and one for daylight. I can't for the life of me remember the specific numbers that you are asking for. I just remember what it says on the boxes. (I have plants but not CO2)

I use to run 6500k daylight with a 10,000k bright white bulb. I found the combo was pretty pleasing visually. Dual 6500k would be good, IMO. As personal preference, I wouldn't go below 6500k unless we're taking a red rosette bulb to enhance color. I'd imagine that you'd get a reduced PAR with a running a red bulb.. just guessing though.

And yes, I jumped from florescent tubes to LED quite sometime ago. T5HO is still good.. just have my reasons.

I use to run 6500k daylight with a 10,000k bright white bulb. I found the combo was pretty pleasing visually. Dual 6500k would be good, IMO. As personal preference, I wouldn't go below 6500k unless we're taking a red rosette bulb to enhance color. I'd imagine that you'd get a reduced PAR with a running a red bulb.. just guessing though.

And yes, I jumped from florescent tubes to LED quite sometime ago. T5HO is still good.. just have my reasons.

I do notice that my stem plants don't grow as well in terms of the bottoms of the plants. I might go with the combo that you used to have.

So if I'd get 2 39 Watt 6500 K bulbs, would I be in the high light spectrum? I think I'm currently in the high light spectrum, but I'm beginning to question it.

Scroll down to the PAR chart for T5 fixtures: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368#/forumsite/20495/topics/184368 Hopefully you will find your fixture or one similar to it here.

I took the T5 HO 4 Bulb Fixture and just divided the PAR by 2, which would let me officially know that I have a PAR of 68. It looks like I have no shortage of light. Just wondering...could the position of my fixture dramatically affect my plants? I have it towards the back of the tank. Maybe it would be better suited to place it in the middle? I can't believe I'm thinking of these little things now.

If it was an LED fixture then I would say that it would make a difference where it was positioned (front to back). However, fluorescent tubes IMO have a greater spread so the position will have less effect.
Moving it toward the middle will shorten the distance from fixture to foreground plants. How much of a difference in PAR readings? Hard to say without a PAR meter.

Brian - Do you happen to have a picture of your setup when you had the T5 HO's with the 10000K bulb and 6500K bulb? If you do, I'd love to see it!

I have a t5ho 3 bulb system I have a 54 watt plant bulb , a 54 watt 6500k and then run a 54/420 antic as well. Love the way it looks, my plants are growing well and my fish look great. Now I just have to get my ferts in before algae takes over. Lol

Back
Top Bottom