Bushy Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I'm setting up a 29g tank in a few weeks and I am currently researching plants for it. I really want to get a bushy type plant for one of the corners. A tight green(the greener the better!!) plant for one of the corners. I plan on raising one of the corners and would like to fill the corner with it. I am currently using liquid carbon(Easylife) but I hope to switch to glut soon. NO CO2. Light is not an issue as I have an ultra bright BML* light for it. I also got the dimmer with it, so I can cut it back significantly.
Please suggest a plant and any info, if you have it. Personal info/links welcome. Even if you just saw one while browsing, please add it and I will research it myself.....Thanks, Ian
*Thanks to Old Scales for helping me get this Beast of a light!!!

If you want a really bright green stem plant ambulia is a great choice. These stem plants also throw out runners and you can get a thick grouping of bright green quite quickly. Water sprite also grows bushy and is lighter bright green.

Thanks Brookster. That's added to the list....
cool! Your bml will blow that lil bushy bush right up, mines been under a dual t5 no for a month, has really greened up nice and spread a bit. Good luck man! We want pics too! You going to start a progress thread?

If you want a really bright green stem plant ambulia is a great choice. These stem plants also throw out runners and you can get a thick grouping of bright green quite quickly. Water sprite also grows bushy and is lighter bright green.
Hey Rivercats. Great to see you back!!.
I think I may have some of that Ambulia. Old Scale sent me a bunch of plants from his tank and I think Ambulia may be in it. Water Sprite, I'm not too sure. Doesn't it grow like crazy!!!. I should have added, I also want something that's doesn't grow too high, 4-6". Am I asking for too much...lol

Yes water sprite can grow like a weed! If you want something that low be ready to trim! I also remember Pogostemon erectus is very light bright green.

cool! Your bml will blow that lil bushy bush right up, mines been under a dual t5 no for a month, has really greened up nice and spread a bit. Good luck man! We want pics too! You going to start a progress thread?
Yeah gonna do a progress thread but it might be very boring!!!. I'm new to this plant game, so people might quickly get bored with my dumb questions...lol. Just ask Old Scales and Rivercats!!!. Yeah can't wait to get The Beast lit up. It's sitting in the corner of my sitting room, crying out to be used. It's like having a Ferrari in your driveway that you can't drive....lol
I might just wait until Old Scales comes over to visit, let him do all the hard work and i'll take the credit. What do you think Brian???

Yes water sprite can grow like a weed! If you want something that low be ready to trim! I also remember Pogostemon erectus is very light bright green.
Maybe a bit taller than that so!!!. I have Pogostemon in my 15g already. I know I'm doing something wrong with it because it's very bare at the bottom. The middle/top is growing nicely though. I think I may need to add more Magnesium to my EI mix. Currently 2 teaspoons per 500ml distilled water. It's not as green as when I first planted it, although it was in it's emerged state when I planted, if that makes a difference???

Yeah gonna do a progress thread but it might be very boring!!!. I'm new to this plant game, so people might quickly get bored with my dumb questions...lol. Just ask Old Scales and Rivercats!!!. Yeah can't wait to get The Beast lit up. It's sitting in the corner of my sitting room, crying out to be used. It's like having a Ferrari in your driveway that you can't drive....lol I might just wait until Old Scales comes over to visit, let him do all the hard work and i'll take the credit. What do you think Brian???
haha I hear you! I've been bugging OS quite a bit lately too with all my noob plant questions.. It will be awesome no matter what Ian! LEDs are new to a lot if people, I cheated out(not really) and got an aqueon setup for my 29 tall yesterday. So we'll both be guinea pigging the LEDs! Although yours is the Ferrari while I'm hoping to atleast have the corvette, but I guess a Camaro will do too..

Last edited:
haha I head you! I've been bugging OS quite a bit lately too with all my noob plant questions.. It will be awesome no matter what Ian! LEDs are new to a lot if people, I cheated out(not really) and got an aqueon setup for my 29 tall yesterday. So we'll both be guinea pigging the LEDs! Although yours is the Ferrari while I'm hoping to atleast have the corvette, but I guess a Camaro will do too..
Yeah OS is a great bloke to bounce question off, Rivercats too. I wouldn't have the light without Brian, he was the one who insisted I get it. I'd still be 'thinking' about it in 6mths. The equivalent light, there's not really one, over here was €800($1100-i'm serious!). Not even an option. If ever plan an upgrade, definitely consider one. Rivercats has one, she's a lady to ask about them.....
I think Brian secretly enjoys helping all us noobs with our stupid plant questions, it makes him feel clever....haha

Ha Ha! I'll bet you won't be able to wait until August when we come over to get your new tank up. But I'll be glad to scape it for you. Just note that it will cost you a LOT of cold Guiness! LOL. And I ain't clever, just mouthy! OS.

Ha Ha! I'll bet you won't be able to wait until August when we come over to get your new tank up. But I'll be glad to scape it for you. Just note that it will cost you a LOT of cold Guiness! LOL. And I ain't clever, just mouthy! OS.
No I probably won't be able to wait that long. I would trade a trip to the Guinness factory for some scaping, no problem!!.
Any ideas on a nice medium height thick bushy green plant???

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you get up and running
It will be at least 6wks. I still have to get the tank(paid for), Eco Complete Fine, and a Fluval C4. This thread is just to get an idea of the plants I want to get. It's NOT the build thread as many people will be long unsubscribed before it gets going.....lol

I can wait lol. I was trying to think of some green bushy plants then i realised i dont really have any myself. Although i am after some pogostemen erectus. Dunno if it matches your criteria though

Ian I am totally lapping you on the build thread man! You know that thing called "snow" you have not heard of?! Just went to my Lfs and helped one if the owners shovel out his car. Boom! Free bag of seachem flourite and grade 2 filter sand! Who says hard work doesn't get you free fish tank stuff! But seriously 6 weeks is way to long! Maybe go build your Lfs owner a birdhouse and he'll give you a break on the tank;)

Last edited:
Ian I am totally lapping you on the build thread man! You know that thing called "snow" you have not heard of?! Just went to my Lfs and helped one if the owners shovel out his car. Boom! Free bag of seachem flourite and grade 2 filter sand! Who says hard work doesn't get you free fish tank stuff! But seriously 6 weeks is way to long! Maybe go build your Lfs owner a birdhouse and he'll give you a break on the tank;)

Ha, you have to do physical labor to get free stuff? I just walk into my LFS with some fry of the right age from certain fish and I get my pick of anything I want, store credit or merchandise right then and there. If I grab a net and start helping customers and answering questions, same thing. ;)

Of course it helps when you're a female that's older than any of the employees, even the owner.

Myriophyllum heterophyllum is a pretty bushy plant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom