Buying a new light- advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaine79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 29 gallon tank for about 6 months now, and its time to buy a new light. I have been looking at the Coralife Aqualight freshwater power compact florescent set up. I got my plants as a low-light assortment, but I would love to add some low-growing ground cover. I have a CO2 bubbler that is really meant for only a 20 gallon tank but I figure it is better than nothing.

Do you think I should just buy the 65-watt, single bulb set up, or should I get the dual bulb setup which can go up to 130 watts? I would probably use the 65 watt bulb and a lower watt bulb if I bought that one. The dual bulb strip costs more than twice as much as the single, but I don't want to regret my decision later.

Any advice would be appriciated! Thank you!

:lol:

well, I have a couple of thoughts on this...

1. 65 watts over 29 gallons puts you at about 2.2 wpg. This is pretty good. Not low light by any means. You should be able to find a really nice assortment of plants that will do well under this light.

2. 130 watts over 29 gallons puts you at about 4.48 wpg. this is high light. At that point, in my opinion, you would really have to do pressurized co2 for the best results and to avoid algae.

I'd go with the 65 watts. You really don't NEED more, unless you're trying to do some harder to grow, very high light plants.

Now, the co2 you have now will work with that 65 watts, but why not add another 2 liter? I'm assuming you have the hagen system. You can very very easily add a second do it yourself container. I think you will appreciate the results, and its just a suggestion!

65watts will give you 2 watts per gallon (rounded down). If you get a 2x65 watt fixture, you can ONLY run 65 watt bulbs in there. A lower wattage bulb will not light up, as the ballast will sense it's too low a wattage.

You can always get a single 65, and add another one later. Hellolights.com has a good price on those fixtures...$54 I think.

Thanks so much for your help. I got a new 65 w light and it is great. :)

Back
Top Bottom