buying plants tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royta

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank finally finished the fishless cycle yesterday, so I'll be buying plants tomorrow. Just your basic low light plants to start with, as I only have a 17w T8 fixture right now. I'd like to upgrade to a 2x24w T5HO fixture in the future.

Is there anything I need to do with the plants prior to putting them in my tank? I thought I read that people would soak them in tap water to kill off any snails that might be on them. I could be mistaken though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

royta said:
My tank finally finished the fishless cycle yesterday, so I'll be buying plants tomorrow. Just your basic low light plants to start with, as I only have a 17w T8 fixture right now. I'd like to upgrade to a 2x24w T5HO fixture in the future.

Is there anything I need to do with the plants prior to putting them in my tank? I thought I read that people would soak them in tap water to kill off any snails that might be on them. I could be mistaken though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dip them in H2O2 for 30 seconds, then rinse in cold running tap water. Works for me and I think eco23 tried it and he had good luck with it too.

Both my local petsmart and petco have plants in tubes.... NOT ONE of which was a true aquatic plant, so buyer beware. If you buy from the separate plant tank, I'd still give them a good hard inspection and cleaning. Them critters hide everywhere!

-Mac- said:
Both my local petsmart and petco have plants in tubes.... NOT ONE of which was a true aquatic plant, so buyer beware. If you buy from the separate plant tank, I'd still give them a good hard inspection and cleaning. Them critters hide everywhere!

+1

My Petco sells 1 plant that's aquatic (java fern) and the rest are half dead from being in water or in those tubes no one buys. I actually found some good aquatic plants at walmart and didn't dip them because I wanted snails for my GSP. I wasn't disappointed and ended up with a 100+ colony of them :D.

Many people just go for it. Myself included!

I got anacharis and didn't QT it or anything and never had one hitch-hiker. My new plants I know has them and im excited to see the free stuff! A lot of fish will eat the fry and baby snails. Assassin snails will also wipe out snails.

You'll be good either way!

I usually just plant them, although I found a nasty-looking red worm when I was peeling away the rock wool from the roots of a potted crypt the other day, so give the plants a good look before you plant them.

Back
Top Bottom