C02 vs No C02???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm super new to this and totally hooked. My first tank is up and running and I'm having fantastic results using Metricide.

Well, maybe fantastic is too optimistic. My Jungle val is melting but growing. All of my plants are low light and easy. I'm using diy root tabs, API leaf zone and Seachem Flourish for ferts, Finnex 24/7 light.

Would you guys recommend a C02 system for someone like me who has a really easy tank??? What are your experiences?

If I'm not mistaken the metricide makes vals melt away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I found. Can get new growth to adjust but I could never get the old growth to stay even starting at a half or quarter dose.

It all depends on your tank dimensions. If this tank were 10 inches tall then absolutely you do. If it's 24 inches then you're probably fine. It all depends on your light intensity, and that depends on your tank height, among other things.

Either way it can't hurt, but it may not be worth it if you are at low light already.

And yes, metricide will make vals melt, but some found that slowly ramping up the dose can get them adjusted.

I love these questions. :D

Do you need co2? Sounds like your tank is doing great. So, no, you do not *need* co2.

Do you *want* co2? That's really dependent on you and what you wish to get out of your tank. For me, the answer to co2 was.. YES. I want CO2. I want a Plant Only tank. I want the Highest tech lighting, max powder dosing, Yellowist drop checker, trimming multiple times a week, Co2 tank!! And I loved it!!

co2 can be just as rewarding as your current setup. I guess my recommendation is, enjoy what you have currently, knowing, someday you'll expand your experience and get co2.

Co2 definitely helps. I would do a simple DIY rig on this tank. Easy, cheap, effective. Works beautifully on my 5.5. Just make sure you don't gas the fish. If you have sensitive fish, like rams etc., it might not be a good idea. I don't know of any ways to adjust them to the Co2 levels but I do know there are some ways out there. My fish are fine, but I can control the amount that goes in the tank.

Co2 definitely helps. I would do a simple DIY rig on this tank. Easy, cheap, effective. Works beautifully on my 5.5. Just make sure you don't gas the fish. If you have sensitive fish, like rams etc., it might not be a good idea. I don't know of any ways to adjust them to the Co2 levels but I do know there are some ways out there. My fish are fine, but I can control the amount that goes in the tank.

One way is to bubble an air stone into the tank. I'm sure other people have clever inventions though.

I've got Vals 8' long and some about 1.5" across using metracide at the recommended excel dose.

I think like anything else an important consideration is to change slow -- start with low doses and build up slow, and don't change rapidly going forward after that. Val's don't like change. It often takes months after a big change for them to start growing well again, even if they don't melt.

I use a combination of Excel (Glut) and co2. I keep the co2 at a medium level, green on the drop tester and the plant growth and plant reproduction has been fantastic. My Vals melted and died with the Excel so I swapped to other plants that love it. Algae is also a non-issue with this combination.
However, I got my pressurised co2 system thrown in when I bought the tank, it was there so I used it. Would I have splashed out and bought one? Maybe not, but I am really pleased with the results.
I don't think I would have ever considered a DIY co2 system, they seem a bit too fiddly and unpredictable for my liking.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

What's this about Rams being too sensitive to C02? Do you guys have any experience with this? I guess I'd have to look into that. Maybe I'll start a thread on that, for more advice. I bought aquasoil when I set up the tank. Then when I realized I'd have to give up my Geophagus I got rid of the soil. I got that little fish when he was only 1cm.

For me it's more about the fish than the plants. I really love these fish. They just appear so happy.

So, yeah, the tank is doing great I just want to keep it that way. I"m gonna do some more research on the C02. Oh yeah, all of my dwarf sag melted too! That's okay, because when I ordered it I thought it was micro sword! I didn't want what I got.

Back
Top Bottom