Cabomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
On a whim yesterday I bought a new plant for my 44g corner tank. It's called Cabomba, anyone have experience growing this plant? i've been reading up on it and don't think my light will be sufficient to keep it alive. I have 2 15w T8, one says for max plant growth and the other is Natural Daylight (sorry I can't remember what the actual light spectrum is, but I believe around 5000K...new to this and all the language) When I worked out my watts per gallon I have 1.5 watts per gallon (I think I did it right :confused:) My Java fern is doing really well, I'm getting tons of baby plants growing off of the old leaves (I know it's a low light plant though) AS well my little sword plants are getting bigger at the bottom of the tank. I also put some root tabs under the substrate for the Cabomba and my swords and I add Seachem Flourish Excel every couple days. Any thoughts?

There are a few different types of cabomba. Some do well in low light, others need more light. Do you know what kind you've got?

I've grown this in a low-light 1watt/ gal 10gal before. I think the lighting depends on the kind it is

Here's a photo. All I know is it's cabomba, not sure the variety.

Attachments

• image-3958052211.jpg
    image-3958052211.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 116
Looks like a cabomba fanwort same thing I have you should be able to keep it alive I did when I had low light but it didn't really thrive till I got my med-high light and I would suggest to help your chances if its still in the bundle from the lfs to separate it and plant them individually otherwise the bottom and the plants in the middle of the bunch will die and when it starts sending roots down from the water column don't take them off they are kinda a eye sore but they do that when they can't grow roots in the substrate

Sent from my Droid desire using Aquarium

azure bones said:
Looks like a cabomba fanwort same thing I have you should be able to keep it alive I did when I had low light but it didn't really thrive till I got my med-high light and I would suggest to help your chances if its still in the bundle from the lfs to separate it and plant them individually otherwise the bottom and the plants in the middle of the bunch will die and when it starts sending roots down from the water column don't take them off they are kinda a eye sore but they do that when they can't grow roots in the substrate

Sent from my Droid desire using Aquarium

Will do...thanks!!

I learned to separate them the hard way too. They look bare at first but once they start growing it fills in nicely

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom