Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank has a lot of foreground plants are u getting lazy and backing off on stems? ;) I'd hide a few more varieties over the back. Although the tree u were considering could be a nice focus point for the tank. :)

Tank has a lot of foreground plants are u getting lazy and backing off on stems? ;) I'd hide a few more varieties over the back. Although the tree u were considering could be a nice focus point for the tank. :)

I'll be putting some stems in behind the tree. There is a bulb plant there too. Aponageton of some kind. The possibilities are endless [emoji39]

How did you know I was lazy btw [emoji23]

I'll be putting some stems in behind the tree. There is a bulb plant there too. Aponageton of some kind. The possibilities are endless [emoji39]

How did you know I was lazy btw [emoji23]

I think if I remember from your last tank there was minimal time consuming plants in that one too ;) may have given me a hint or 2 haha :)

I think if I remember from your last tank there was minimal time consuming plants in that one too ;) may have given me a hint or 2 haha :)

I'm just pondering on whether or not to get another LED. Just to speed things up. See how this one does. It's only been on for a week.

Beautiful looking tank Caliban07 ? can't believe I missed you closing your other one down.
Got to admit out off my 3 tank's my smaller one is definitely quicker and easier for maintenence 5 mins and it's all done! Wish my other 2 were the same Lol

Beautiful looking tank Caliban07 [emoji4] can't believe I missed you closing your other one down.
Got to admit out off my 3 tank's my smaller one is definitely quicker and easier for maintenence 5 mins and it's all done! Wish my other 2 were the same Lol

Thanks Shellyx. It's a shame really as the bigger tank was only just coming in to its own really.

This one is sooo much easier. I'm actually looking forward to a water change later!

Looking for some nice stems for behind the wood. Any suggestions welcome.

Another 4-6 weeks when the microorganisms are beginning fully establish I expect this tank to really take off.

Considering buying a water butt for top ups due to evaporation. Either that or buying a few gallons of RO water.

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Just did a water change and thought I would share some observations regarding co2.

I ran this tank for almost 2 weeks with no co2. The Pogostemon Erectus leaves had begun to wilt at the lower end as most stems do when there is lack of co2. The leaves began to fill in again as it became closer to the light and atmospheric co2.

You could say that the plant did not have enough light and that's why it's lower leaves wilted however, this is not true as the younger plants next to the biggest stem in the picture below would be struggling to grow now that I am injecting. Here is a picture of the withered stem and the baby stems to the left.

IMG_1479668250.958802.jpg

Next are my staurogyne repens. You can see the new growth post co2 on top. The lower leaves acclimatised for low co2 are now showing signs of algae formation as the plant has clearly chosen to discard them. The newer leaves will have less RuBiscO investment and the energy that was focused on this production will now go towards growth. This plants will have to be lifted and the bottoms trimmed and discarded. I don't expect to see anymore algae on the newer portions of this plant.

IMG_1479668463.056170.jpg

Up next is the Monte Carlo. I don't suppose these plants spent much time in low co2 environments. The plants have been pretty green ever since I bought them. I can tell that this is starting to spread already. Hard to spot if you are not looking at it everyday.

IMG_1479668574.265946.jpg

Lastly is the ludwigia glandulosa. This stem was dropping lower leaves for fun. I must have picked about 20 leaves the day I set the co2 up.

Since I trimmed the lower stems and planted in a co2 enriched environment these plants have given me no more problems. Not one leaf lost.

IMG_1479668802.887227.jpg

In other news. Getting a lot of biofilm on the surface. Livestock is minimal and feedings are minimal.
I read many times that plants can contribute to the bioload by excreting chemicals as they grow and this process happens faster in a high tech tank. Never saw any supporting articles mind. Perhaps the eco complete is still releasing fine particles?

Will keep my eye in this one. Something is going on because when I dropped the water level, the froth created by the jets hitting the surface was a brown colour. I don't like that but doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Only measurement I have taken since I set the tank up is tap water TDS just today which read 39ppm.

So far so good. [emoji846]

Last edited:
The time thing... There is a small chance you need a nice 5G table top for a Betta or different shrimp Colony or planted garden. Just to keep you with something to do!

Maybe consider what Rastaman does and set up a tank for a planted tank competition??!?

What I was going to say actually was one of the plants I like is the Ludwigia Repens x l. Arcuata. Has a nice color to it. Haven't used it with CO2 but it should be nice.

Did you try a Tiger lotus or Red Lily yet?

The time thing... There is a small chance you need a nice 5G table top for a Betta or different shrimp Colony or planted garden. Just to keep you with something to do!

Maybe consider what Rastaman does and set up a tank for a planted tank competition??!?

What I was going to say actually was one of the plants I like is the Ludwigia Repens x l. Arcuata. Has a nice color to it. Haven't used it with CO2 but it should be nice.

Did you try a Tiger lotus or Red Lily yet?

I think I may house a betta in this eventually. My hands are tied now what with the puppy an all. I was being dramatic earlier. The water change was a breeze and I like this tank despite my ramblings.

Never seen those Lud's will definitely check them out thanks.

Never got round to trying those plants either. I've seen them being used in Dutch style tanks before. They fit in well but I would worry about their size in a smaller tank like this.

I don't think me and Rastaman are in the same league but thanks for the suggestion [emoji846]

Getting some algae. Just glad I caught it early. The S.Repens is the most afflicted. Was expecting this to subside on the newer growth but it hasn't. This light is brighter than I thought.

The plants need more co2. Haven't turned it up yet. Instead I dimmed the light back to the middle setting and turned the spraybar down slightly so the surface is a little stiller. The evaporation drops the water level and the surface ripples intensely as a result which could be off-gassing too much co2.

It's still a WIP. Wasn't expecting to get it right first time [emoji846]

The co2 preacher has fallen short of co2!?!?! Whaaaaat? [emoji28]

What kind of algae u getting?
I'd imagine your lighting would be pretty intense being a small tank :)

Good to see u noticed it so quickly ;)

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

The co2 preacher has fallen short of co2!?!?! Whaaaaat? [emoji28]

What kind of algae u getting?
I'd imagine your lighting would be pretty intense being a small tank :)

Good to see u noticed it so quickly ;)

I know right! Had pearling and everything though but I'd be the first to say pearling can mean diddly.

Erm, maybe diatom like algae on S.Repens not sure what it is yet. Bit of green fuzz on the glass and some green spot. Only just going serious on the phosphate though and I think even when increasing P to sort GSA out we are assuming co2 is right.

Plants looked better today but I've hardly been home. Monte Carlo seems to be carpeting nicely.

I know right! Had pearling and everything though but I'd be the first to say pearling can mean diddly.

Erm, maybe diatom like algae on S.Repens not sure what it is yet. Bit of green fuzz on the glass and some green spot. Only just going serious on the phosphate though and I think even when increasing P to sort GSA out we are assuming co2 is right.

Plants looked better today but I've hardly been home. Monte Carlo seems to be carpeting nicely.

Yea true. Phosphate is amazing stuff I've realised haha. I see a lot of people say "my drop checker is a nice lime green so co2 is fine"

I 100% disagree with this. Mine stays yellow most of the day and still I question if I have enough co2. I'd say I'm close but not 100% convinced.

New tank, new dosage, new co2 levels. It's gonna keep u busy for a while ;)

Yea true. Phosphate is amazing stuff I've realised haha. I see a lot of people say "my drop checker is a nice lime green so co2 is fine"

I 100% disagree with this. Mine stays yellow most of the day and still I question if I have enough co2. I'd say I'm close but not 100% convinced.

New tank, new dosage, new co2 levels. It's gonna keep u busy for a while ;)

Yeah. My DC had to go yellow in the 46. Couldn't count the bubbles they were moving too fast. I was lucky to get a month out of a sodastream bottle at this rate.

I notched co2 up a touch last night just because. Had to top the water up again. It's about every 4 days I have to do this. Not bad compared to some.

Yeah. My DC had to go yellow in the 46. Couldn't count the bubbles they were moving too fast. I was lucky to get a month out of a sodastream bottle at this rate.

I notched co2 up a touch last night just because. Had to top the water up again. It's about every 4 days I have to do this. Not bad compared to some.

That's what I don't like about those open top tanks. Although u can't resist the look of a rimless. When they are scaped nicely they look exceptional.

I saw a 55g rimless the other day at my lfs for $350. I was so tempted. Then I remembered the cost in setting up a new tank haha. Doesn't just stop with the purchase of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom