Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #1001
Aquarium Advice Addict

1000 posts and the tank looks great!

Old 12-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #1002
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahaha thanks Brook.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #1003
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow, yes 1000 posts!!!

Congrats on the tank looking pretty darn good after that horror story.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:16 AM   #1004
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Wow, yes 1000 posts!!!

Congrats on the tank looking pretty darn good after that horror story.

Thanks Autumn. Yes it was rather distressing but everything is back to normal.

A lot of the experiments Iíve done have really just proven some things were are already aware of as a hobbyists. Itís just that I like to challenge what appears to be regurgitation and see for myself. I donít want to be someone who just repeats what they hear or read but havenít really had any experience in said topic. Made some mistakes and perhaps some erroneous claims but then subsequently falsified them through testing. I like to keep an open mind and can admit when I am wrong. Feeling a lot happier about everything now.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #1005
Aquarium Advice Addict

10% water changes daily at the moment and Iíve increased feeding to support plants by adding mini wafers.

The water changes help mitigate any algae the food may induce and provide critical carbonate hardness and Carbon dioxide for the plants.

The thing I love most about low turnover and sponge filters is that they tend to keep microscopic food stuff in the water column for the fish to pick at.

At this point the plants appear slightly pale in the older leaves which may be a nitrogen deficiency. Last time I added wafers I had little plant mass and the duckweed went bananas. The duckweed is making a slow comeback now suggesting that the nutrient levels have increased but there is a lot more plant mass to feed this time around.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:39 AM   #1006
Aquarium Advice Addict

Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

Switching the co2 back on. I canít grow the plantís I have because unfortunately my water is just too soft and as a result there is no KH to appease the carbonate users.

I tried adding dolomite but itís not very soluble, resulting in milky water for a day. Hopefully the lower pH will help it dissolve better and I can use it as a reliable, natural source of calcium, magnesium and KH going forward. It does produce a response but doesnít seem to last very long before you need to re-dose. All you end up with is tons of Calcium and salt precipitation on the sides of the glass, where you can tell thereís way too much Ca and Mg.

Secondly, I tried potassium bicarbonate which adds insane amounts of potassium. This had adverse effects on both shrimp and snails too. I wasnít performing water changes at the time so itís possible the rapid shift in pH due to KH buffering made underlying ammonium toxic. I never tested for ammonia at the time because I had ran out of reagent and doing water changes immediately was imperative. Though after an 80% water change I repeated the test (gulp!) and the same thing happened. Iím doubtful there would have been enough ammonium in the tank after an 80% water change to have have the exact same response from fish, snails and shrimp but it is possible. My main hypothesis is that with soft water with very little calcium, sodium, sulphates, magnesium, carbonates and chloride and the solubility of potassium this resulted in a rapid increase in ions causing osmoregulatory distress. I believe this also because ALL my crypts melted which is a classic sign of ion imbalance in crypts i.e they donít like the new water so they melt and regrow.

I tried changing 10l of water every day to provide a constant and stable level of KH from my tap even though it is minuscule. It didnít work and fish got sick.

Lastly, I tried adding a more natural, fully dissolved hard water composition. Bottled spring water with lots of bicarbonate. Again, just like dolomite, the original response was good but it was short lived. Some plants are still showing signs of growth as a result but I donít believe that is due to the bicarbonate alone.

The duckweed, had not been proliferating this whole time which would suggest a nutrient issue because they donít care about co2, but Iíd been adding EI levels of macros and some iron for micros so nutrients should have been aplenty. It is said that amazon frogbit is a better indicator when using the leaf colour chart in softer water as Duckweed prefers harder water so this could become the reason the duckweed was lagging. Since adding the spring water the duckweed has grown somewhat but hasnít gone wild. This may suggest that there is very intense competition within the tank for carbonates and not just from plants. Spring water is expensive though so It wasnít a sustainable option. Especially when water is evaporating so quickly in the drier, colder months when the heating is on full.

Therefore Iíve admitted defeat. I need to either use co2 or change out the plants for those that donít rely heavily on carbonates but uprooting long time submerged crypts is risky.

Iím still doing no water changes at this point. Just top ups with rain or RO. I worry about the many Malaysian trumpet snails now with the co2 making the water more acidic. Hopefully the decaying of old leaves that is inevitable now the co2 content is going to rise will provide them with a decent amount of food and calcium for their shells.

Iím out all day today and so co2 goes on tomorrow where I can be home all day to monitor the concentration.

I believe the tank is nutrient dense now and simply switching co2 on will send the plants in to overdrive. Iím also expecting zero algae blooms due to the stability of the biofilter.

Watch this space for more updates
Old 03-16-2022, 02:10 AM   #1007
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have basically 0 KH and used this with water changes. Cloudiness goes away pretty fast.
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/...rbufferdkh.htm

Old 03-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #1008
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have basically 0 KH and used this with water changes. Cloudiness goes away pretty fast.
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/...rbufferdkh.htm

Thanks Autumn.

I did look at marine buffers but Iíd like to know which compounds they used given the tanks adverse reaction to potassium bicarbonate.

I THINK the spring water additions were beginning to work though more time was probably needed to confirm. I feel like because the plants need to convert the carbonate in to co2 first the grow is much slower, at least initially. Some plants did put out new leaves and they are growing but just slowly. Iíve missed co2 but at least I can say I know why plants simply wont grow for some people.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:44 AM   #1009
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My container says it contains calcium carbonate, bicarbonate, and borate salts. That is listed in the "Caution" for use area. Not sure if that is the total contents or there are other ingredients.

How much calcium is needed for CO2 use? I am wondering if I should use CO2 in the future.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:19 AM   #1010
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My container says it contains calcium carbonate, bicarbonate, and borate salts. That is listed in the "Caution" for use area. Not sure if that is the total contents or there are other ingredients.

How much calcium is needed for CO2 use? I am wondering if I should use CO2 in the future.

Thanks autumn. Calcium is a micro nutrient and develops in leaves over time so as long as there is some the concentration is not important. I like to have some calcium for itís protective effects against micro toxicity (to fish and inverts) and to ensure it is a major cation above the more soluble ions such as sodium and potassium. I personally believe that with greater competition for ion uptake the fish have an easier time osmo-regulating if the calcium and magnesium ions are present in higher numbers than potassium, sodium and chloride.

I think I have the solution. Dolomite powder. Itís provides calcium, magnesium and carbonates in a more natural form. Previously, before co2 it would take a day to dissolve leaving the water cloudy as itís not very soluble. With co2, it dissolves in about 15 mins due to the pH. Dolomite powder is not to be confused with dolomite lime.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:22 AM   #1011
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good to note, not the same as the lime. Where are you finding this dolomite? Garden center, fish store?

Old 03-25-2022, 02:27 AM   #1012
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In looking at dolomite, it mentions this as a human supplement, which could be unsafe due to heavy metals like "aluminum, arsenic, lead, mercury and nickel per WebMD online.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #1013
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
In looking at dolomite, it mentions this as a human supplement, which could be unsafe due to heavy metals like "aluminum, arsenic, lead, mercury and nickel per WebMD online.

Hmm thatís interesting. Iíd hope the higher amounts of calcium would pretty against any heavy metals all of which mentioned are in my tap water.

Worth keeping note of though.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com