Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

As some of you may already know I have purchased my new tank. It's an Aquaone Aquaopti 85 with Inspire 60 cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478457280.410221.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	290650

Due to the quick sale of my Juwel vision 180 I had to set it up fast and 'rough' just to get my fish back in a swimming around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478457380.058640.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	290651

As you can see I had to put a makeshift filter in there at the moment. I have no biological colony at present. Just what is in the plants and eco complete maybe so I'm testing for ammonia and changing water daily. The JBL e1501 canister would be too powerful for this tank at nearly 20x turnover and so I am looking in to the Ehiem Ecco pro range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-2034-.../dp/B0056GMZ8I

The internal is so quiet though. The thought of the hum of the canister is making me cringe.

The plan is to mount a spray bar and use a diffuser for misting placed in the tank. I can always rig the inline up if I'm not happy with the way this pans out but with a spray bar in this size tank I don't see any reason why the co2 would not mix well enough. The only reason for an inline would be to keep things out of the tank which if it bugs me enough ill change it.

Also using a makeshift light unit that is actually for an Aquanano 40. The plan was to rest the an old Juwel T5 fixture across the top until my new LED came but it sold too quickly. There is no co2 hooked up yet. Had to use a couple of heaters just to keep the temp at 25 as they are for smaller tanks. I still need to buy a heater.

My LED is a Chihiros A series by Hinterfeld 60cm


__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Not sure why I double posted the last picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478458412.909188.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	290654

And the view form my chair

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478458440.160174.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	290655
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,800
That light is brighttttttttt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
That light is brighttttttttt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's just a regular bulb. A bit bigger than the one that is supposed to be in it. I had a poxy fluval LED think but the glass is too thick for it to clip on.
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
PerfectDepth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 607
Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Congrats, that is a sharp looking setup! Glass lily pipes and a ~1000 Lph canister maybe? That's what I would do.
__________________
My 20 gallon long planted tank:
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-a-349160.html
PerfectDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDepth View Post
Congrats, that is a sharp looking setup! Glass lily pipes and a ~1000 Lph canister maybe? That's what I would do.

Thank you! Hmm still debating on the glass. I'm a bit clumsy at the best of times. I think the filter will be between 700-1000lph. I need to get the balance right with flow. The fluval 205 I just sold would have been a decent stand in at this point.
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Looks good! Although I'm a big tank person myself I have a soft spot for the nano builds people do.

I highly recommend the inline with a spray bar. I use this method and the co2 spread is insane. Solid pearl every day. However with 10x tank flow and a spray bar my plants at the front of the tank tend to bend backwards. Not as much of an issue with stiffer plants like crypts but any stem plants get blown back.

Just something to think about when scaping

Definitely following this build!
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 15,949
The white cabinet looks sharp! Very nice tank. I am a small tank person, love it!
__________________
FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 72G Bowfront Wadai Tetra, Cardinal Tetras, Ghost Glass Cat Kryptopterus bicirrhis and Clown Loach Cory haven


New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Looks good! Although I'm a big tank person myself I have a soft spot for the nano builds people do.

I highly recommend the inline with a spray bar. I use this method and the co2 spread is insane. Solid pearl every day. However with 10x tank flow and a spray bar my plants at the front of the tank tend to bend backwards. Not as much of an issue with stiffer plants like crypts but any stem plants get blown back.

Just something to think about when scaping

Definitely following this build!

I know what you mean. Had that setup running on the vision in its prime. I don't think there is a better method for co2 delivery other than a reactor to break the bubbles down completely before entering the tank or putting the co2 on the inlet side of a canister rather than the outflow.

Having said that, many pros don't use a spraybar so they are by no means necessary. I'm thinking it through, despite being at work all I can think about is this new tank.

I think I'm going to build the substrate up even higher at the back and look in to getting some rock
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
The white cabinet looks sharp! Very nice tank. I am a small tank person, love it!

There was a moment yesterday when I thought I had gone too small. But I'm going to have so much fun with this one. Downsizing will be more economic for me too as I'll have to use less of everything. The small gaps at the side will allow much better access for me to fiddle until my heart is content. The slightly smaller depth and height means I can reach over and see what's going on behind the tank. Despite being just over 6 ft this was a problem with the vision because of the bow too..

I do like the white cabinet. They do white and oak and black and oak too.

Now to look for a snazzy heater. What wattage am I looking for in an 85L?
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,594
Looks sharp. But the view from your chair....
I think some furniture moving is in order. You need to be able to position yourself smack dab in front for full viewing pleasure. IMHO.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
There was a moment yesterday when I thought I had gone too small. But I'm going to have so much fun with this one. Downsizing will be more economic for me too as I'll have to use less of everything. The small gaps at the side will allow much better access for me to fiddle until my heart is content. The slightly smaller depth and height means I can reach over and see what's going on behind the tank. Despite being just over 6 ft this was a problem with the vision because of the bow too..

I do like the white cabinet. They do white and oak and black and oak too.

Now to look for a snazzy heater. What wattage am I looking for in an 85L?

I'm guessing that's 85litre? U will only
Need a 100w heater they say 1w per litre
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
I'm guessing that's 85litre? U will only
Need a 100w heater they say 1w per litre

Yeah I was thinking 100W. It's 85 litres. I put an L after the 85 in the title to hopefully clarify as I realised that nowhere did I state the size

Still debating on a filter...they all seem to be pushing £100 just for a 600-800lph.
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Yeah I was thinking 100W. It's 85 litres. I put an L after the 85 in the title to hopefully clarify as I realised that nowhere did I state the size

Still debating on a filter...they all seem to be pushing £100 just for a 600-800lph.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the sunsun canisters. There extremely cheap and parts are also cheap. No need to go to fancy, after all it's just a box that pumps water
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
No need to go to fancy, after all it's just a box that pumps water

Yeah buuuuttt I want one that pumps a decent amount of water, is quiet, easy to clean and prime and will accommodate the inline if necessary all for a reasonable price. I think it's gonna be the eheim Ecco pro 300
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Sunsun will do that if u ask me the eheims are louder than most. The aqua one 1200 I have on my 30g is disgustingly loud. I can hear it in the next room when I'm sleeping :s
My mate runs a sunsun 3000 and it's completely silent
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Sunsun will do that if u ask me the eheims are louder than most. The aqua one 1200 I have on my 30g is disgustingly loud. I can hear it in the next room when I'm sleeping :s
My mate runs a sunsun 3000 and it's completely silent

Hmmm will look in to these. I did do a quick search for them on Amazon just to check the price. Will have another look. Cheers
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,800
I run 3 sun sun cans, I've had no issues, they're extremely quiet and easy to clean and service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TMaier's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,594
I've had my Sunsun since May. It's so easy even I can do it! And it's quiet.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Old lady with tanks...
TMaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,033
Thanks. What's the smallest the do? The HW-302?
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved Caliban07 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 639 11-07-2016 02:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.