Can Corydoras Or Kuhli Loaches Ruin My Substrate Design?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kareem Monzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

So I'm nearing the end of my cycle and am starting to think about my stocking options and I'm considering keeping 6 Panda Corydoras or possibly even Kuhl Loaches among other fish in my 125L (33 Gal) Tank (81cmx50cmx36cm).

As you can see, my tank is mid-heavily planted, but more importantly, I have designed my substrate such that there is a bed of white sand acting as a, admittedly dirty, "river" separating my main substrate (ADA Amazonia II).

My question is this: Will the digging nature of Corydoras or Kuhli Loaches ruin my substrate design? The ADA Amazonia Aquasoil is incredibly loose and even a little bit of digging can create a mess.

I'd really appreciate some insight on this guys, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 232
Hello, never had kuli loaches but if anything like thier cousin the weather loach they like to bury & hide themselves in sand if possible. As for corys they will sift through it for food. It woud be almost impossible to keep a defined edge in aquarium(all fish like to pick in substrate) unless you have some type of border around it. You may consider using white rock instead of sand. Hope this helps!

Corys love to shift through sand for food. I see you have rocks on the outline of the river you made. That can help but i would definitely find some white painted gravel "aquarium safe" if you want to keep it easy on yourself. Kuli loaches will still dive into your substrate and just poke out there wiskers. So i wouldnt reccomend them if you want to keep your substrate somewhat separated.

Back
Top Bottom