Can Hornwort be bad for an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have no real plants in my 10 gallon aquarium, I am currently cycling a 50 gallon aquarium but at the same time I am planning on replacing the 10 with a 20 long, anyways...

I read all these advantages about Hornwort but I am wondering if there are any disadvantages if I was to get some to float for now in my 10 gallon? As long as I keep it trimmed it shouldn't block the light from the fish right? since there are no other plants going in? The only other disadvantage that I read about is it could bring snail infestation...

Does anyone know any other disadvantages in general of hornwort or disadvantages of it in how it applies to my situation? Thank You.

Keeping Hornwort

Hello mkat...

Hornwort is second to none in using dissolved nitrates and helping keep the tank chemistry steady. I keep it in all my planted tanks. The tiny, spent leaves will pile up on the bottom material, but are easily vacuumed away. I leave them on the bottom to dissolve and nourish all the other plants. It's a fast grower, so you're smart to keep it trimmed. Moss and algae tend to grow on it if it gets too thick.

Snails aren't a problem unless you feed the fish too much. If you have a snail problem, that's the reason.

This plant is a keeper.

B

The "needles" dropping gets super annoying! I had it in my tanks for a while but I am getting rid of it because I am just sick of the needles everywhere. With a fully planted tank you can't use a gravel vac the same so it is often tricky getting them all up.

That said anacharis is sort of similar but doesn't have the needle problem and floating a water wisteria plant is also a good alternative to the needle dilemma. Both will grow well in a low light low tech tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They didn't have anacharis or any other floating plant at the pet store so I just got hornwort to try it, it looks nice in there and they fish were afraid at first but they seem to like it now.

Back
Top Bottom