Can I? Should I? Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys recently got my co2 unit it came with a reactor im just wondering if i can have both oxygen and co2 running through it?? Is this a good idea or will bad things happen

I'm still new fairly new to CO2, but if you have a bubbler going and CO2, the oxygen will outgas te co2, causing low co2 levels. When I was a beginner and thought it was as simple as turning it on and letting it do it's thing, it was too little amount of co2 for the plants. So I had this black hair algea outbreak all over my tank. I'm still trying to get it out of my tank 2 months later. So IMO, don't do both at the same time. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in:)

So i shouldnt be aerating and co2 at the same time?? Im brand new at this so anything youve learned and are willing to share im all ears

No do not aerate while injecting co2. you want just enough surface movement to oxygenate the water without gassing out the co2, I use a spraybar placed a half inch under the surface so I have minimal disturbance on the surface. Did you get an indicator?

Yes i did so i should cut the air pum out altogether and just use the spray bar right now its yellow which means their too much co2

Back
Top Bottom