can I use 55watt bulbs in place of 65 watt bulbs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orlly16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a coralife fixture, and I just wanna know if I can use a 55 watt bulb in place of the original 65 watt bulbs ?

Not sure about wattage, but I would recommend using NO bulbs with NO fixtures and same with HO lighting as well. Don't mix and match NO for HO. Same goes for T8 vs T5 bulbs, don't mix them. You can harm the ballasts, bulbs or both.

Not sure about wattage, but I would recommend using NO bulbs with NO fixtures and same with HO lighting as well. Don't mix and match NO for HO. Same goes for T8 vs T5 bulbs, don't mix them. You can harm the ballasts, bulbs or both.

Ive had success with using T5ho bulbs in t5NO fixtures it just under drives the bulbs. But if you use normal output bulbs in a high output fixture the bulb will not last very long.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about power compact bulbs and not linear fluorescent bulbs (ie, the big U shaped bulbs with 4 pins at one end). They don't make linear fluorescents in 55w or 65w.

If that's indeed the case, then yes, the two are interchangeable.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about power compact bulbs and not linear fluorescent bulbs (ie, the big U shaped bulbs with 4 pins at one end). They don't make linear fluorescents in 55w or 65w.

+1 aqua_ chems advice and to add a little more. If you want to up the bulb wattage as with any light fixture check its max watt rating it can handle any wattage bulb that matches or is lower than that. For example if it says 65w max u can use any bulb 65w and lower.

That's true of CFLs, but it doesn't really hold for most fluorescents. If you use a lesser rated bulb, you'll end up overdriving it (VHO) unless you have a smarter ballast. The 55w/65w thing is just with those two bulb sizes.

Im confused lol...I dont know a lot about electrical stuff...so can I use the 55 watt bulb?

That's true of CFLs, but it doesn't really hold for most fluorescents. If you use a lesser rated bulb, you'll end up overdriving it (VHO) unless you have a smarter ballast. The 55w/65w thing is just with those two bulb sizes.

Thank you aqua for clarifying. I was thinking of the non spiral CFL bulbs you know the ones that screw in with the three U shaped pieces for some reasonwhen he said pc I went and re read and realized which ones he has. Sorry about the confusion. And I shouldn't have said any light fixture I shoulda been more specific by saying most light fixtures that do not have a ballast ie screw in type clamp lamps and the sort. :hide:

There your answer. Aqua chem is very knoweledgeable I've learned a bit from reading his posts.

Awesome!! Another question...will 2 55 watt bulbs at 6500k be enough for a planted 55 gallon aquarium?

Depends on what you're wanting to grow. It will be best for a low to medium-low light aquarium, depending on the quality of your reflectors.

And just so we're clear, yes, you can use your 55w in a 65w PC fixture, although I do recommend you get a more FW appropriate bulb.

Depends on what you're wanting to grow. It will be best for a low to medium-low light aquarium, depending on the quality of your reflectors.

And just so we're clear, yes, you can use your 55w in a 65w PC fixture, although I do recommend you get a more FW appropriate bulb.

Agreed, anything above 10k is really going to hurt plant growth. I have two SunPaq 6700 CFL's, work very well

And is it true that algae utilizes blue light very well? I read that somewhere but have heard nothing to back it up

I don't think it much matters. I think the only reason that may be is because plants tend to favor more of the red spectrum where algae has almost no bias in regards to its demands. I know aqua chem won't agree but ive seen a difference in plant growth from focusing on the red side of the spectrum as opposed to the blue. Can you grow plants in blue light? absolutely I've done it. But most will agree that you'll have greater succes with all plants between 6700-10k. But I think your PAR is above all the most important. Sorry that got a little off topic lol

I don't think it much matters. I think the only reason that may be is because plants tend to favor more of the red spectrum where algae has almost no bias in regards to its demands. I know aqua chem won't agree but ive seen a difference in plant growth from focusing on the red side of the spectrum as opposed to the blue. Can you grow plants in blue light? absolutely I've done it. But most will agree that you'll have greater succes with all plants between 6700-10k. But I think your PAR is above all the most important. Sorry that got a little off topic lol

Certain types of algae have been shown to prefer blue light, but most studies have been done with sw species. Plants will use both red and blue light readily. Interesting to note, though, is that the pretty much undisputed "best bulbs" on the market, Giesemann Aquaflora and Midday, are fairly unique in that they have disproportionately greater blue spectrum than other brands. I've used blue heavy and red heavy bulb combinations and have never really seen a meaningful difference in plant growth.

Certain types of algae have been shown to prefer blue light, but most studies have been done with sw species. Plants will use both red and blue light readily. Interesting to note, though, is that the pretty much undisputed "best bulbs" on the market, Giesemann Aquaflora and Midday, are fairly unique in that they have disproportionately greater blue spectrum than other brands. I've used blue heavy and red heavy bulb combinations and have never really seen a meaningful difference in plant growth.

Good to know. What about plant color with the red vs blue heavy bulbs?

Back
Top Bottom