Can I use coconut fibre substrate in betta planted aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

destroy-ya-vampire-money

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have three male bettas, all tanks heavily planted with Elodea (I know, not the most exciting plant, but I can't find anything else!). The tanks are 2, 5, and 10 gallons.

I was thinking of setting up a 20 gallon long with dividers to house all my three bettas together so that when I leave for college my mum won't have to take care of three tanks, but instead only one.

I really like the idea of using pure coconut substrate because when I tested it out in a small container it settled nicely (looks attractive and natural) and it kept the Ph nice and low (my tap is at 8 and I don't think my bettas really like it).

I want to slowly *slowly* introcuce this lowered Ph to my bettas by brewing some of the substrate and slowly adding bit by bit per water change. Then I would like to set up the large tank with this substrate.

My question is, will this work for plants?
Will the tannins somehow affect the plant growth?
Will this be safe for my bettas?

Thank you all!

As I've said to another of your posts.

STEADY pH IS BETTER!

Altering the pH like you want is a difficult task to accomplish, you constantly have to calculate how much to add per water change along with the current amount in the tank.

Plus you said you're leaving for college? So you'd have to expect your mum to be able to do these calculations on the fly if there is need for an emergency PWC.

Honestly, keeping the pH stable will be more beneficial to your fish than a pH crash will is likely if you start working on the balance.

As for the tannins, they won't affect the fish in any adverse way. So don't worry there.

Those are my thoughts, hope they help!

Steady ph is much better, but for a betta 8 for ph will melt the longer fins- and cause gasping and over all poor health- you can buffer down naturally with driftwood and lava stones, there is also the miracle of Amazon/ asiatic black water extract- tannins are your friends lol, especially with planted tanks... I have used coco mat, coir brick and peat moss for substrate bases and have regretted it cause even topped with 2 inches of sand my loaches managed to dig into it and start the decomposition process- giant mess had to rebuild tank.

Back
Top Bottom