Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Can I Use Gravle As My Substrate For Plants

as the title says i'm wondering if i can use just gravel for my substrate or do i have to go and buy special "plant" substrate thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine with just gravel depending on the plant, what plants do you have/want?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Gravel is fine, root tabs can be beneficial (or even required) for some plants though. It's a little difficult to plant sometimes, but with some patience, you can make it work

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Yes you can use strictly gravel, although finer sized substrate like Pool Filter Sand can better anchor roots of certain plants ... then add gravel to the surface. With Sand and or gravel, it's best to dose ferts buy root tabs or liquid.

You could look to buy plant specific substrate like Eco-complete as it does provide nutrients that gravel doesn't ... however eventually those nutrients are used up so you'd have to add nutrients any way.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

im not 100% sure on witch plants i might want. I think I should do some more research but thanks guys for answering my question this is the best place for asking questions

Tags
plant, plants, plants gravel newbie, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com