Can I use this wood in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I bought a piece of wood from my lfs today that was in the lizard section. The owner was told by the Hagen rep that it was safe for aquariums but needed to get soaked to stay submerged. I'm just wondering about rot over time because it seems like it's more of a "bush" wood then a hardwood. It has hollow smaller branches off the main branch. I'll include a pic so you can see and hopefully identify the type of african wood it is and let me know whether it's safe or not (ie: eventual rotting) I think it may be Grapewood.
fPIgHlwP

I went through the same thing once and found that wood that's meant for reptiles differ not sure how though. Anyway I went with a driftwood that was aquarium safe. It would say it or with some LFS it would be in the fish section.

Most get there own out and about near streams or lakes.

Here's a good read.

If I'm violating any forum rules I apologize. I believe a lot of us use this site.

Hope it helps!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=857

ryguy76 said:
Hi,

I bought a piece of wood from my lfs today that was in the lizard section. The owner was told by the Hagen rep that it was safe for aquariums but needed to get soaked to stay submerged. I'm just wondering about rot over time because it seems like it's more of a "bush" wood then a hardwood. It has hollow smaller branches off the main branch. I'll include a pic so you can see and hopefully identify the type of african wood it is and let me know whether it's safe or not (ie: eventual rotting) I think it may be Grapewood.

I was told this wood rots so I went against it but I'm no expert so I decided aqainst it

From the picture , it appears to possibly be grapevine. That would rot in time. Just my opinion.

Deckape said:
From the picture , it appears to possibly be grapevine. That would rot in time. Just my opinion.

I thought that but I wasn't 100per cent sure

I took the wood back because I had read in several places to avoid grapewood/grapevine after finding out for sure that in fact it was grapevine. I really liked it and it was going to fit my idea for my scape well, but unfortunately I decided against it because I don't want to chance having it rot.

ryguy76 said:
I took the wood back because I had read in several places to avoid grapewood/grapevine after finding out for sure that in fact it was grapevine. I really liked it and it was going to fit my idea for my scape well, but unfortunately I decided against it because I don't want to chance having it rot.

Glad you were able to return the grapevine.

ryguy76 said:

At least you could I found out the hard way I wasn't aloud to return mine

That was years ago now though, my mate is manager of my lfs now so at least I get discount and better service

Back
Top Bottom