Can LED be compared to metal halide lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I was looking at packaging notes on the box LEDs and the reef ones said they were equivalent to 250w metal halides. And the hydroponics (reds) said 500w equivalent to metal halide.

I was wondering if this could be true advertising (never owned metal halide lights so don't know what they mean).

And if true, this seems a large amount of light? Tank is 150 gallon. I know wpg is outdated but used it just to get an idea.

The MH bit is noted in the table under the line 'replace to'.

Full Spectrum LED Grow Light 165W with 3W Chip for Indoor Plants Growing Stronger - AU$299.00

LEDs are a lot more efficient, I have mh and t5s on my tank but only because I didn't have the cash for a nice led fixture

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I realised that when I added it all up, I've spent a grand. Which would of paid for BML lights nicely.

The hydroponics one is I think 165w (equal to 500w MH).

Last edited:
I don't do planted aquariums but wouldn't that be a little to much light for most aquarium plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm wondering this myself :)

The reef box LEDs on either side are only running the white light (blues are switched off) so I guess running at half power.

The centre hydroponics light seems the problem. Hygro under that constantly has issues. Unfortunately the light doesn't have a dimmer. The only saving grace is its mainly reds that lose power with depth and tank is 2 and a half feet deep.

Looking at seeing if I can run a dimmer switch or a timer on it I think. It seems way more powerful than I thought (but not sure). Need a PAR meter...

Back
Top Bottom