Can someone be my planted tank mentor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwesomesHome

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Can someone be my planted tank mentor?

We can talk about the things I need for my planted tank, the things that are happening, and are going to happen?

Someone to help me with my purchases for my fish tank and help me to understand why things are going good and not good?

I would like to have a fish tank for a long time that is consistently growing, but I think it would be good to have someone to talk to about the things that are happening with it.

Someone that can help me with the questions I have about it. I have some books, but I think it would be better to have someone to talk to about it.

I have a 55 gallon fish tank

Please let me know.

What’s your goal for the tank? What do you want it to look like? What plants do you like? How much are you willing to spend?

Pls give us a little more info. :)

Thank you for your reply I will post some pictures. If you want we can do it together!

I have a 55 gallon fish tank. I will have to spend as I have the money. I heard someone talking about having a 20 year fish tank. So as I learn I can do the things we need with it when I have the money.

I have budgeted lets say $200-$250 per year but I have some things I have bought that we can work with. I will post the things I have and where I would like to go with the fish tank and we can go from there.

Here is a picture of my 55 gallon.
https://ibb.co/0cTDCZN

I want to as time goes have it look like this.

With the moss ball in my fish tank I would like to cut it apart and glue it to the rocks

so it can cover the rocks like the moss in this fish tank.

https://ibb.co/MfbnCwD

I want grass to cover the bottom like in this tank I think this is the same fish tank but a better picture.

https://ibb.co/hHZpBtw

I want to be able to see the mosses in some places so I will not put plants all over the place but a lot of plants.

I want alot of different plants and colors like this. I want it to look like this with showing the moss covering the rocks and with the grass covering the bottom of the fish tank.

https://ibb.co/hHZpBtw

I would like some of my plants to make new plants so they can multiply that way and I can fill in some of the places with some of the same plants.

For now I have gold fish and shrimp I want to learn how to breed the gold fish and shrimp so they can multiply and make more.

I will buy different kinds of fish later and every kind of fish that I get I want to buy in pairs so they can breed. I need help with learning about breeding fish too.

I also have some snails growing so its going to look cool with the fish, shrimp, snails, and other things I might buy later with time multiplying.

I have some equipment I bought for fish tanks so we have options, and I would like to go with the best option for the fish tank. We can talk about that too.

I have test kits so we can go over water parameters.

Please let me know what y'all think.

Hmmm it might be trick having a lot of plants with goldfish because they tend to eat them and I mean they’ll tear through em all.

But in the meantime, it seems that your lighting might be a little on the lower side. You can still have lots of plants but they’ll take longer to grow and might be covered in algae. You will have to make sure a balance of nutrients, light, and co2 is present so that the plants take up most of the nutrients, not the algae.

An easy and nice moss, would be java moss. I think with the conditions you have now, it’ll suffice for the Java moss.

Here’s a list of some amazing plants, I think would look great and add extra color, like red or pink.

Java moss
Anubius
Red tiger lotus ( my favorite red plant and it gets quite large )
Jungle val
Java fern
And some swords would be nice

Anyways, the best way to know for sure, is to try it. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes; we all did.

But in order to have a larger variety of plants, you’ll need to have better lighting, root tabs, and liquid fertilizer for plants that take in nutrients from roots and the plants that take nutrients from the water.

And in terms of lighting and substrate, they are very important for plants. I think you will really need better lighting and substrate if you want your tank to look like the ones you posted. But for now, you might get away with hardy plants.

If u need anymore help, just reply. Sorry I gave a late reply; I have an enormous amount of homework.

Back
Top Bottom