Can somone help id plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeffanman

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-966798513.jpg

image-3622127652.jpg

image-2206825022.jpg

image-589940584.jpg

image-3897846480.jpg

And also would anyone know why they are yellowing near the tips?

The tank is a 29 gal

image-1989495961.jpg

Aquaclear 70 filter with sponge carbon and ammonia remover media
Light Is stock hood with 24" with GE plant and aquarium bulb not sure how old. On for 8 hours a day with 1 hour break in middle
3 bleeding heart tetras, a neon tetra, 5 Pygmy corys, and a spotted medusa pleco. fed once daily fairly sparingly.
Dosing seachem flourish as directed weekly

Thanks in advance!!

To start with, remove the carbon and ammonia remover from the filter and add a second sponge and some other biomedia such as plastic pot scrubbers or bio rings.
The first plant appears to be Cabomba in poor shape, second appears to be Amazon sword, E bleheri, third, perhaps a val, can't tell for sure without seeing entire plant. Fourth, not sure enough to guess, and fifth looks like Java fern although the conformation seems a little off.

1-Looks like some cabomba that's been nipped bad. Was it red or green when you got it?

2-Sword.

3-Val.

4-Hmm that's a toughie. My best guess is an anubias or a sword, though I'm not sure.

5-Java fern.

Hope that helps!

I agree to remove the carbon and ammonia removing media. Plants actually prefer ammonia and you may also be starving beneficial bacteria. The activated carbon will remove your fertilizers. Looks like the plants are deficient, maybe nitrate deficiency since you are removing the ammonia before it gets converted to nitrates

Well the media has been removed and I have replaced the light with a 24 inch t8. I will dose twice a week for a month and go from there.

3 looks more like an onion plant than a val to me. does it have a bulb or does it go straight to roots? the bottom plant on 4 does look to be an anubias which shouldn't be planted but tied to something. That could be part of the reason it's browning. And 5 is indeed a java fern, another plant that shouldn't be planted but tied to something

I agree also the anubias and java fern shouldn't be planted. The one that looks like anubias could also be a melon sword? You would know by the roots. Anubias will have a long kind of rhizome and a sword will have a bulb with roots.

Back
Top Bottom