Can you check my figuring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i am in the process of setting up a 20 Long for Tanganekan Shelldwellers (Neolamprologus multifasciatus). the tank will have sand substrate with a little bit of natural pea gravel, some rocks and such. i am thinking of adding one of two driftwood branches with java moss/ferns and anubis tied to it. the stock lighting is a 17 watt T8.

so i figure that i should have 1.27 wpg (compared to a T12), do you think this will be enough for the above mentioned plants? (i really have never tried a "low-light" tank i just jumped in at 2.5 wpg :?)

My single four foot t-8 (32 watts) is plenty on my 55 gallon for those plants... I eventually wound up overdriving it. Also, there is the old standby that adding c02 is better than adding more light if you can only add one or the other. But you'd probably have to buffer your water for the cichlids if you add c02.

Sicklid said:
My single four foot t-8 (32 watts) is plenty on my 55 gallon for those plants... I eventually wound up overdriving it. Also, there is the old standby that adding c02 is better than adding more light if you can only add one or the other. But you'd probably have to buffer your water for the cichlids if you add c02.
my water comes pre-buffered KH 13 and GH 23

I think your lighting will do just fine. Co2 would increase your growth rates but by no means needed. I think as long as the KH and GH stay high the PH drop from CO2 would not effect your shellies.

Cool, Thanks alot... here is a picture of the set up :D

img_801162_0_14e20b052696404cad86495811c17cc0.jpg

what i have right now is a large-ish Java fern and some christmas moss on the wood.

Back
Top Bottom