can you mix then store dry ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PITT

Aquarium Advice Activist
I dose dry ferts and was wondering instead of measuring each one every time could i make a bigger dose of all of them combined then just take a smaller portion of that each time I dose?

I know the ratio will change over time but what if I just make 2 weeks worth or so? Just keep it dry...mix well. It seems to be a little of a pain to measure all of them. A big mix seems like it would be much easier.

i dose..

Barr's GH Booster
CSM+B Plantex
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulfate
Mono Potassium Phosphate

This is not advised since you may not be dosing the correct ratio each time if the ferts are not mixed well enough.

Something that you could do would be to buy one of those pill cases that have anywhere from 4 compartments to 28 compartments for pills. You could measure your daily ferts into each compartment, and then you would only have to measure the ferts every 1-4 weeks. To dose just open the next compartment and either premix with some tank water or dump it straight in.

Purrbox said:
Something that you could do would be to buy one of those pill cases that have anywhere from 4 compartments to 28 compartments for pills.

YES! That is a great idea...thanks so much. Since i've started dry ferts things seem to be going well in the tank but it is a little annoying measuring them each every time. This is exactly the kind of solution i'm looking for.

Thanks again.

I mix my KNO3 and Fleet (phosphate) in a 2 liter bottle. This is hooked to a small pump for auto dosing. The 2 liter lasts about 3 weeks, makes for less work for me. Macros do better premixed and stored than micros from what I have seen.

Also, I used to mix 1 weeks worth of macros in one bottle (500ml), and 1 weeks worth of micros in another, and then just pour some from each on alternate days. This worked fairly well.

I have not tried dry mixing, only wet.

Back
Top Bottom