can you run multiple tanks off the same pressurized co2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i am considering a pressurized co2 system for my 55 i am redoing soon. i also have a 10g that i am planning on upping to a 20g long. if i built a co2 system for the 55g could i also run a line to my 20g as well off the same equipment? or does it really need a separate setup? i ask because my two tanks i have in mind are a few feet away from each other.

i know its not necessary really for what i will be growing but i'm looking into it and wondering since if all goes well with all my rescapes i might want to move up to higher light on 2 of my tanks.

i also was curious to know how long co2 tanks tend to last. some people use the paintball tanks and some people use the tanks for welding. some ranges of time between refilling would be nice to know. my research has shown me that a diy setup is difficult on a 55 gallon which is also why i ask about running two tanks off the same equipment.

still new and clueless about co2

You may be able to with a splitter. Just silicone the co2 tubing wherever they connect with some (except in the water) to seal off any leaks. You will also need the bps (bubbles per second) to be higher so that each tank has adequate co2. Get a drop checker in each tank to monitor the co2 levels to make sure the co2 doesn't overdose in either tank. Also get a bubble counter for each tank to make sure each tank is getting the same amount of co2. Make sure the tubing you are using is co2 safe tubing (airline tubing and tubing made from that material is not co2 suitable) so that you don't lose co2 from leaking through the tubing itself. Regulators are also important and necessary. They tell you when your tanks needs to be refilled, adjust the flow of co2, and some have a solenoid which allows you to plug into a timer so the system turns the co2 tank on and off by itself. For paintball tank system set ups, I used the aquatek paintball regulator. It fits right onto the tank and doesn't need any adapters or anything. It also comes with a solenoid. I got my paintball tank off of amazon everything else I needed for a paintball setup as well. The whole setup cost around $120-160. If you use the bigger tank that are measured in weight, just the tank itself could cost the same price as a paintball setup. You would also need a bigger regulator which would cost more. As for filling up the tanks, I fill them up at Dick's sporting goods for around $4-5 or so for a 24oz paintball tank. I would go for a paintball tank because they alone will last you a pretty long time. A 2.5 lb. tank would last you about 8-10 months. My paintball tank hasn't been refilled since the beginning of the year and nothing in the gauges of the regulator have gone down. It should last me at least a few more months.

If you're running a 55g tank I would avoid a paintball co2 tank. While a 5lb co2 tank can last 6 months or more a 24 oz running at adequate BPS will last on average 1 month, maybe a little longer. So far I've been running my 10g planted tank with a 24oz co2 tank for around 3 months without needing a refill.

To run them both you will need to have separate regulators to control the flow to both of the tanks otherwise you will end up gassing out the 10g. It might be worth it to run the 10g in a similar fashion as a sump so they will share the same water supply and you won't have to split the co2 up.

Last edited:
Also, as Mebbid suggested.. for a tank your size, get a full sized regulator (not paintball) and a 5# or 10# cylinder. Larger the better, IMO.

I don't really have that option of running the 10 as a sump. and the 10g is getting moved into a 20g long I have sitting in the garage. my light upgrade and new filter is about the same for either so may as well move up to a bigger tank.

if I do get to do the co2 thing I was looking into going with a bigger tank especially if I can run 2 tanks with the same co2 supply. I will look into a splitter. within around 10-15 minutes of me is plenty of welding supply dealers and I think one or 2 beverage supply retailers as well so I should have luck finding a tank exchange or fairly cheap refills. if it will last me around 6 months or so that won't bother me. seeing that it isn't as outrageously expensive as I originally thought (though you can make it expensive) is also why I am considering it

Back
Top Bottom