Can't get drop checker to turn green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seanbugeja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I have a problem I can't solve. Just set up my planted aquarium with co2 after an absence of 2 yrs. No matter how much co2 I'm pumping into the aquarium the drop checker won't turn green

I've tested all the hardware (including the co2 tank?) in my friend's established tank and it works perfectly. Even my drop checker with the same liquid turned green in his tank

I'm running a 300litre tank with sump 7.2 pH and kh 15. No surface agitation at all.

My only theory left is that the water chemistry in the tank (being a new tank) is interfering with the drop checker liquid.

What's ur take on what's going on.? Anubias can be seen forming oxygen bubbles where there is damage. does this mean that plants are getting enough co2? HELP

Hi everyone. I have a problem I can't solve. Just set up my planted aquarium with co2 after an absence of 2 yrs. No matter how much co2 I'm pumping into the aquarium the drop checker won't turn green

I've tested all the hardware (including the co2 tank?) in my friend's established tank and it works perfectly. Even my drop checker with the same liquid turned green in his tank

I'm running a 300litre tank with sump 7.2 pH and kh 15. No surface agitation at all.

My only theory left is that the water chemistry in the tank (being a new tank) is interfering with the drop checker liquid.

What's ur take on what's going on.? Anubias can be seen forming oxygen bubbles where there is damage. does this mean that plants are getting enough co2? HELP

1) Are you using a 4 degree kH solution for the drop checker?

2) How are you measuring pH?

3) When are you measuring pH?

4) When does your CO2 come on and go off?

5) How are you injecting your CO2?

6) What rate are you injecting your CO2?

7) What is your source of water?

8) What is the degassed pH of your source water?

No surface agitation is bad. You want a good amount of surface agitation.

Measure your tank water's pH with 0 CO2 injected. Mark that down.
Then measure when your tank is at it's max CO2 amount injected, mark that down.

Your pH should drop by at least a full 1.0 ... up to 1.3 or 1.4.

My best guess: Your pH is closer to 8 and a full 1.0 drop wont budge the drop checker.

Drop checkers are not a "one size fits all" and very rarely are they actually accurate. Use the pH drop method for a better idea of the CO2.

Even with minimal agitation, increased surface area can result in CO2 gas off as seen in the sump you were using.

Back
Top Bottom