carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

if you dose your tank with flourish and you have carbon in the filter, does it defeat the purpose?

There is little conclusive proof one way or the other about carbon removing nutrients necessary for plant growth. However, there is no need for carbon in a healthy properly maintained tank. Best to save yourself the expense of the carbon and not use it. This way if it actually does remove anything that your plants need you don't have to worry about it.

I removed my carbon about 2 months ago for filter floss from the advice of other AA members. It is a lot cheaper and my water is just as clear.

As purbox stated, there really is no need other than to have on hand for the removal of medications...

just backing purrbox up as well. you can run carbon all the time, but there shouldn't be a need to.

This is kind of off topic, but kind of on topic. I just got a piece of driftwood that I'm going to have to boil to get rid of tannins and get it to sink. I'm sure there will be some more tannins coming out within the weeks following. Carbon cleans that up right? You are saying that it won't be a problem for my planted tank to put that in?

Well, yes and no. There may still be some brown from tannins, however after boiling it should not be to bad.

The most important thing is to make sure you got your driftwood from a safe place. There are many toxins that can be harmful to your fish.

You are saying that it won't be a problem for my planted tank to put that in?

Are you talking about the driftwood? Who said that? You may want to start a new thread about that, so it does not intefere with the main topic at hand. That will expose your question.

Back
Top Bottom