carbon filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read somewhere that it removes certain elements plants need to grow. Is this true?

No one's proven that rumor AFAIK. That said, there's not really any good reason to run carbon on a planted tank if you're not removing medication or such.

As Hoovercat mentioned, carbon is usually used to remove meds or to remove the brownish tannins you sometimes get when first putting in driftwood. Whatever beneficial effects carbon may have will be exhausted in a couple of weeks as the carbon becomes saturated. I have removed all the carbon from my filters as well with no ill effects. :)

Same here, I have never used carbon in my planted 55. I always keep some on hand in case I need it, though.

Carbon will remove some nutrients, as well as organic matter. How much, I don't know, it would make a nice experiment! It definitely would change as the carbon ages which would make dosing nutrients tough as you'd have another variable to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom