Carbon or no carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading some of the forums and thought I'd throw this question out. I have been replacing regular carbon filters in my 20g tank. Recently, with the laterite, liquid ferts, and root tabs I am starting to see plant growth for the first time in a LONG time. I am starting to get a bit of algae growth though. I minimize the amount of light in the tank to about 6 hours a day. (Just a reminder, I've have a duel 32w 6500k florescent setup for a total of 65W) Anyway, someone was saying the carbon takes the plants nutrients out of the water and it should not be used in a planted tank. Thanks for your response :)

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about carbon and plant nutrients. I don't run carbon simply because I don't need it.

With 65W of fluorescent light over a 20g your plants should be growing like weeds. I don't see any mention of CO2. If you're not injecting CO2, I would try it. A simple DIY CO2 system should be good enough to test if carbon is the missing ingredient. You might have to increase your photo period a bit with the CO2.

Look at the LED link in my signature. That's a 20H with 30W of LED lighting, CO2 injection, and a PPS Pro fert regimen. I've got high-light plants thriving under those conditions. Your tank should be growing similarly.

Thanks Jim,... WOW that is simply a SWEET setup you've made!!! I'm gonna start a DIY CO2 setup tonight and see what happens. Last time I couldn't stabilize it with my DIY and grew some nice funky hair algae. Gonna try again, get a test kit, and see if it blooms like I've always wanted. Thanks BigJim!

Thank you for the complement. Good luck. DIY CO2 should be good enough for proof of concept. If you're serious about a high-light tank, go for the pressurized CO2. It's definitely worth it.

I've been reading some of the forums and thought I'd throw this question out. I have been replacing regular carbon filters in my 20g tank. Recently, with the laterite, liquid ferts, and root tabs I am starting to see plant growth for the first time in a LONG time. I am starting to get a bit of algae growth though. I minimize the amount of light in the tank to about 6 hours a day. (Just a reminder, I've have a duel 32w 6500k florescent setup for a total of 65W) Anyway, someone was saying the carbon takes the plants nutrients out of the water and it should not be used in a planted tank. Thanks for your response :)

Carbon will rob the water column of trace elements, from my research andI can't find anything that says otherwise.

Fluval 405 media? - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Back
Top Bottom