Carbon will remove any chemical but will ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i now that Carbon removes any plant chemical to help plant growth, but will ammonia remover ( sponge form in the filter) remove it as well?

Come to think about it should i be having it in while i'm trying to cycle the tank? 8O

You should never have to use an Ammonia remover. While cycling if you need to control Ammonia levels for the safety of Fish, then water changes are in order. In an established tank an Ammonia remover robs the biofilter of food and can effectively kill it off. By removing Ammonia you are also preventing the production of Nitrate, which is one of the Macro Nutrients that plants need.

Oooo, i see, so it dose not absorb the chemical but will not help the plants as they need nitrates right????Ii'll take it out then lol, iv always had carbon in my filter as i got told you HAD to have it by lcf shop, is this true or have i been waisting my money on carbon for the last 6 month's and starving my plants.

You do not need carbon in your filters unless removing meds from the water. Some people prefer to use it, it is not a necessity. Filter floss works just as well.

If you have a planted tank, then using carbon will deprive your plants of many trace nutrients - as the carbon will absorb those trace materials and make them unavailable for the plants. Most planted tank aquarists don't use carbon, unless it's temporary to remove tannins (from driftwood) or medications.

Carbon isn't a negative addition to a non-planted tank.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom