Carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zahk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody. Long time reader but just recently registered on the forums to be able to post. I have been dabbling in planted aquariums recently and decided to attempt growing a dwarf hair grass carpet. I have seen a few posts about others doing it as well. Im trying to grow it in a 20 gallon tank with a 55 watt bulb. My reflector is decent but not as good as an AHSupply one or anything. I am using a diy co2 setup in a gatorade bottle ( the fatter ones, 2 cups sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast ). I have planted one pot of dwarf hair grass in my tank, i split it up into about 4-5 different sections. How should I look for growth or tell if it is growing at all? Should I do something special to make it grow like a carpet? I plan on beginning to fertilize it with the seachem line of products in the coming week/s. Any other tips would be appreciated. Love the site!

Fertilizing it will make it grow faster with the diy co2. Your lighting seems fine aswell.

Ways I tell that my dwarf hairgrass is growing is that I do trim mine so it's almost flat on the top, then once some of the grass starts growing you can tell it is getting taller. Also around the edges of the grass, look for little grass just starting to poke out of the substrate, those are runners and that will mean it is growing and your carpet will be coming in. You spreading it out like that also helped a lot to get your carpet going aswell.

It will take quite awhile to get that nice, dense, carpet your looking for. What your doing is good, now all you got to do is start added those fertz, keep up on that co2, and just give it some time. Try trimming that grass aswell, so it's shorter, that way you can tell if it's growing, plus it will look nice aswell. Remember to try to trim during one of your water changes so you can just stuck up the clippings, I tried to do it without siphoning and just netting them, it's just a lot more work if you ask me haha. :p

Some pictures of your setup would also be pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom