Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to jtd1216
Carpet-like plants for medium light??

I was doing some research on plants that have a carpet-like effect.. All that i have found do best in high light. I assume this is because they are so far from the surface. My tank is a 20g high with about 2.4 wpg. I really like the look of glosso too. Any plant i guess would do. Can anyone help me with this??

Old 03-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
I believe Marselia sp. will thrive in moderate light and so will Elatine tiandra.You could always go with a moss foregroud or something light that.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
hemianthus callitrichoides "cuba" is a moderate light carpet plant.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?t...aristic&id=630

Unfortunalety I haven't gotten my hands on any yet. Floridadriftwood.com has some marsilea minuta which is similar, but I won't place an order just for that.

29 Gal Planted, 1.2 wpg, Estes Gravel
gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately most plants that are used as carpets must have high light or they tend to grow upwards istead of forming a carpet. I think that the marsilea minuta is your best bet for a look similar to glosso, if you can find it. I have yet to locate a source for it that I would trust enough to order from. The other marsilea sp. should work too but will have slightly larger leaves.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to jtd1216
ok thanks alot for the suggestions, i will look into those--- any other ideas will be helpful =)
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?3=850
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to try clover when I can find it. I don't care if my lighting makes it grow up a little, will make for cool effect if it grows 2 inches high and leaves a stem forest undergrowth. Might be really enjoyed by my corys and oother bottom dwellers.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_4_all
I am going to try clover when I can find it. I don't care if my lighting makes it grow up a little, will make for cool effect if it grows 2 inches high and leaves a stem forest undergrowth. Might be really enjoyed by my corys and oother bottom dwellers.
what is the update to your medium light carpet?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 04-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't grow anything for a carpet with my lighting/substrate. Tried clover, HC and I think micro swords and they all petered out and died. I can grow HC semifloating but that is about it. I guess I could try riccia and some others floating but I doubt I will be able to grow any carpet plant until I get a better substrate.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

what substrate you have?
Plants
Old 04-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The standard aquarium epoxy coated gravel mixed about 50:50 with smaller river run gravel. I need to get all the LFS gravel out and put in nothing but the smaller river run gravel in for a small bed for the plants. I think it would help me keep MTS alive as all the ones I have gotten have died within a week or two.

I think Echinodorus Tenellis is about the only thing I could grow well for a ground cover but I have crypt Lucens growing really well now so I think that will make a nice carpet with large enough spaces for the cories to swim in and out of.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #13
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have eco-complete so that might help ha

Plants

Tags
carpet, light, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com