Carpet-like plants for medium light??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtd1216

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was doing some research on plants that have a carpet-like effect.. All that i have found do best in high light. I assume this is because they are so far from the surface. My tank is a 20g high with about 2.4 wpg. I really like the look of glosso too. Any plant i guess would do. Can anyone help me with this?? :oops:

I believe Marselia sp. will thrive in moderate light and so will Elatine tiandra.You could always go with a moss foregroud or something light that.

Unfortunately most plants that are used as carpets must have high light or they tend to grow upwards istead of forming a carpet. I think that the marsilea minuta is your best bet for a look similar to glosso, if you can find it. I have yet to locate a source for it that I would trust enough to order from. The other marsilea sp. should work too but will have slightly larger leaves.

I am going to try clover when I can find it. I don't care if my lighting makes it grow up a little, will make for cool effect if it grows 2 inches high and leaves a stem forest undergrowth. Might be really enjoyed by my corys and oother bottom dwellers.

fish_4_all said:
I am going to try clover when I can find it. I don't care if my lighting makes it grow up a little, will make for cool effect if it grows 2 inches high and leaves a stem forest undergrowth. Might be really enjoyed by my corys and oother bottom dwellers.

what is the update to your medium light carpet?

I can't grow anything for a carpet with my lighting/substrate. Tried clover, HC and I think micro swords and they all petered out and died. I can grow HC semifloating but that is about it. I guess I could try riccia and some others floating but I doubt I will be able to grow any carpet plant until I get a better substrate.

The standard aquarium epoxy coated gravel mixed about 50:50 with smaller river run gravel. I need to get all the LFS gravel out and put in nothing but the smaller river run gravel in for a small bed for the plants. I think it would help me keep MTS alive as all the ones I have gotten have died within a week or two.

I think Echinodorus Tenellis is about the only thing I could grow well for a ground cover but I have crypt Lucens growing really well now so I think that will make a nice carpet with large enough spaces for the cories to swim in and out of.

Back
Top Bottom