Carpet plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oneleee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could any one recommend a carpet plant that would do well my aquarium. It's got about 2wpg of light, sand only substrate, no C02 and I use liquid ferts as instructed on the bottle. I do really like HC (Cuba) and have got a bit to see how it does. It's been a week or so and so far it's still ok but with what I've got I don't think it will do too great. Any suggestions please? I don't want to get C02 or change substrate even though I know this would make things easier. Thanks

First off, amount of light isn't measured in watts per gallon. Watts is a measure of electricity that the light uses. What kind of light bulbs do you have? Any info you can get (such as watts per bulb, color temperature [it might say something like "6500K"], length of the bulb, type of bulb etc) would be helpful. HC really does grow better with co2. I had luck growing it a little bit without co2, but I had a whole bunch of algae. For a carpetting plant that doesn't need co2, I suggest marsilea minuta. It grows pretty slowly but given time, it will fill in an area with dark green, round leaves.

Everyone seem to quote Wpg so I just went with the flow. I've got 2 54w t5s and one t8 which I can't remember what size it is. About 40w I think. My tank capacity is 350litres. Thanks for the marsilca minte tip, ill have a look into that. Thanks.

Sorry, I've read a lot of people quoting Wpg figures so just went along with that. I've got 2 54w t5s and one about 40w t8 over a 350litre tank. I can't remember the colour of the t5s but I ordered them cause they said they are ideal for plant growth. I've just had a quick look into marsilea minuta, it looks good. Unfortunately for some reason it's unavailable here in the uk! Thank any way.

Back
Top Bottom