Carpeting Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you know how to incorporate that into a tank? Would I need soil? I'm new at this.

That's the beauty about Java Moss. Generally you would attach it to Rock or DW ... but you can let it float or pin it to the substrate. Very undemanding plant ... but slow growing, so don't expect it to cover your substrate right away.

Java mass can be rather difficult to obtain a carpeting effect but it can work with some diligence. Unfortunately almost all of the carpeting type plants that you see out there require higher light and benefit greatly from CO2 injection. Some of these species can be grown in lower light, but they won't carpet well and instead will grow up towards the light instead of spreading out along the substrate.

One exception might be Echinodorus tenellus which can grow under lower light conditions, albeit very slowly. It also is a bit taller than the traditional carpet look, but can work very well in a low tech tank.

Last edited:
+1 with Fort384 on the Pygmy Chain Sword.

There's some you-tube videos showing it in non CO2 tanks. While it does get rather tall for carpet plants ... it makes a great hiding spot for shrimp, fry and any skittish fish that appreciate cover.

Sorry to jump in but would a sand substrate be any good for carpeting plants?

Thanks for all your input guys! I just wish Petco and Petland Discounts would sell these plant species.

Dwarf sagittaria might be easier to find. It gets taller than what would typically be a foreground plant (depending on your tank size, obviously- it won't look so tall in a huge tank), but covers nicely given some time.

Back
Top Bottom