caterpillar thingy in my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi guys, a few days ago i notice that my echinodorus barthii started to have holes on it's leaves, then i noticed some patterns like it was chewed on or something.. i finally found the culprit and i want to know if any of you guys experienced having this hitchhiker in your tanks before.. this is the second time i encountered this critter in my old tank and it feasted on my bacopa.. here's the old pic.. maybe some expert can tell what this is, thanks :D

img_783722_0_7ba328c9d0ea6ebf8a8186d5433ef536.jpg

img_783722_1_d8c7e6122e92f5f9ca3a43fbd1f75435.jpg

I don't know much about waterborne insects (yet :p ) but I sure hope it isn't any sort of dragonfly larvae (immature form). The nymph (teenage form) of the dragonfly lives underwater and can kill and eat fish or other creatures up to its own size. From what I've seen, this does not look like a dragonfly larvae, but I'll let the experts make that call.

Assuming it doesn't kill the fish that is pretty cool. My kids would go bonkers for "catipillers".

Lady, I think you might need to show that to someone on your side of the pond. I've never seen or heard of such a critter and guess it might be sort of regional.

Back
Top Bottom