Ceratopteris family portrait

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to share. This might be kind of dumb, but I get a little excited thinking I might have something that others don't.

ceratopteris.jpg

I found out by accident today that the antler-looking bit on the right is Ceratopteris pteridoides. It was a hitchhiker that looks like it can grow into something wicked cool.

The large one on the top left is C. richardii, which is usually not found in the hobby. At the end of the semester I "liberated" :))) this guy and 79 of his siblings after a biology experiment ended and they were just going to be tossed. I rolled them up in a paper towel and smuggled them out in a paper towel (what can I say? I have a disease). Out of 80 little plants, only this one made it. It's finally growing and getting some neat shape to its leaves. I'd like to see what it looks like submersed, but I'm a little afraid to experiment at this point.

I don't think either are very common at this point, just judging on my attempts to do research. The C. richardii is often used in experiments, so it doesn't seem like it usually gets to live very long. And the pteridoides isn't really the prettiest thing once it matures, so I can see why it's not popular. Anyways, just wanted to share!

Back
Top Bottom