Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 10g has 1" or less of pool filter sand. It's beautiful and looks great, but it's such a pain. It stirs up anytime I move something around. It stirs up when I add/pour water into my tank and leaves a dent in the sand no matter how carefully/lightly I pour. It collects on the tops of my rocks and plants when settling. I replace my polyfiber every 2-3 weeks because it's dark brown from doing it's job.

Now I have planted and I had to weigh down my plants with river rocks. I'll never be able to vacuum the sand b/c the tank is too small and the plants will be disturbed and float.

So in all my hassle, I'm going to change substrates. Sand is nice, but I think it would be more practical in a large tank.

I want black substrate. I'm looking at Eco-complete and regular black gravel. I think the eco-complete looks very nice. Are the nutrients in it worth the extra $$? Would you suggest that I need to use root tabs with the eco-complete? And then what types of ferts would I need to dose with if I have eco-complete? (NitrAte, Phosphate, Potassium, Trace)

FYI: My tank is still cycling so I won't be disturbing fish. I plan on filling a couple buckets with tank water and putting my rocks and plants in one and my filter basket in the other while I scoop out the sand and add the new substrate.

Eco is nice but you will still need the ferts etc. if you are not going to a real hi light tank plain black gravel will be fine. I have it in my 36 and all grows well, even my carpet of hairgrass.

If you're planning on any finely rooted plants (like Glosso or HC) then the Eco Complete will make it much easier to root them. Other than that, the Gravel should work well as long as it isn't overly large.

Back
Top Bottom