changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 15W light rated at 6700K with a CO2 system for my 10 gallon planted tank, but I'm thinking about changing the gravel to something better for plants. Should I layer the bottom with just Eco-Complete, or should I put a layer of Eco-Complete then a layer of another substrate (such as PFS)? How thick a layer of each do I need to have?

Just use the Eco-Complete. You should have at least 3" worth of gravel. I hope this helps you out.

A couple things, with that little light over a 10g you probably don't NEED to run CO2. As far as the eco/sand questions. Typically you want a decent 3" of substrate. If you layer the eco and sand the sand will eventually work its way to the bottom and the eco will be on top. Just a FYI. Many people have done this and don't realize the sand will settle to the bottom.

I'm thinking of making half the tank Eco-Complete only 3", and the other half with Eco on the bottom, and white gravel on top, and shaping it like an Yin-Yang pattern. The darker side will have dark driftwood and red/brown plants, and the lighter side will have white/gray rocks and green plants. Then I will find a black rock and put it on the Yang side, and a white rock and put it on the Yin side :D

If I were to use 3 inches of Eco for the dark side, how much Eco and gravel do I use for the Yang?

I would use 2" of eco and 1" topping of the white gravel. Just be warned, it will be all mixed together eventually.

And any recommendations for easy/fast-growing brown/red plants? I currently have Rotala wallichii and Ludwigia repens. How about green ones? I currently have a Crypt parva and DHG.
No Anubias/Java ferns please.

I like my Ozelot sword. It is green with red specks. I have a few more favorites but you will need to upgrade to atleast 2wpg for maybe some blyxa aubertii. How about a kleiner bar sword? Giant sag. is pretty cool as a background plant.

there are plenty of red and brown crypts out there. i wouldnt do any swords in a 10 gallon though. they do get a little large.

Back
Top Bottom