changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
whats up everyone?
ok so when i first set up my tank i only knew about the nitrogen cycle and wasn't quite sure what my plan was for the tank. i know, big mistake right!! Anyway I ended up pickin up some coarse gravel. shortly after i realized the beauty of the planted tank and researched that i have the wrong substrate. I have 3 anubias in there right now, only two rooted though. I know that you're not supposed to take out all the substrate at once because the biological filter. so my question is, what's the best way to change out the substrate? What's the best substrate for a planted tank with two t5 32 w light bulbs? i think my substrate might work since there are two rooted plants now but i'm not sure how to tell. Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to get some more plants in my tank:)

Here's what I did when I went from gravel to sand. Now this may be different. Aide I have a filter on a 30g that's rated for an 100g(I like to over filter)

I took my fish out and put into a bucket of water from the tank

Added a air stone

Then plants into some tank water

I drained the tank an used a plastic cub to scoop out the gravel, fair warning you are going to rethink your cleaning lol its bad when you take it all out

Raise new stuff add then fill and drip the fish. Get the temp close as possible a little colder is always better than hot

Don't forget to turn off your heater for at least 15 mins. Before exposing it to the air

My tank never recycled I think due to the huge filter
I did add a little prime each day for the 1st 3 days just to help with slime coat and stuff but I don't think it was really needed

Now if your filter is not as big as mine.

I've read you can use a price of fish safe plastic and put it into the gravel, then scoop out the stuff from one side raise new stuff add wait a week or 2 then repeat till all new, 1/3 at a time is best

You could try just changing it and testing water everyday, but be ready as the tank could mini cycle on you,

I and my fish love the new sand bottom and it looks more natural now too I will never ever go back to gravel now lol

Hope this helps

Oh and I use root tabs in the sand for the plants, they stay planted better too my snails use to unroot them all the time now even my new bumblebee cats don't unroot the

Sorry double post

ok thanks. this does help me a lot. can you psy a pic of your tank?

Here's a bad pic(I'm at work lol) but it looks so much better than I did with the red black pinkish blue well rainbow gravel lol

Attachments

• image-2472642896.jpg
    image-2472642896.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom