Changing Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wondering will it make a big difference switching from pool filter sand to eco complete. Is it worth all the trouble.

IMO... EC is definitely a step up to sand in the planted tank arena. Sand is inert and doesn't offer much to plants w/out the need to constantly put in root tabs. EC has trace elements -- albeit minute amounts. However, EC has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) which enables the substrate to absorb nutrients and time-release it back to the plants. Plus, EC is an attractive substrate that doesn't disintegrate and plants root well in it... I say go for it...all the pros outweigh the cons!

Depends on the type of plants honestly...
if you have heavy root feeders, then the eco-complete would forego the need for root tabs and possibly even supply nutrients to stem plants..

I haven't used eco-complete myself, so I can't speak from experience, that's just what I've heard about it...I use the walstad method for my tanks

IMO... EC is definitely a step up to sand in the planted tank arena. Sand is inert and doesn't offer much to plants w/out the need to constantly put in root tabs. EC has trace elements -- albeit minute amounts. However, EC has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) which enables the substrate to absorb nutrients and time-release it back to the plants. Plus, EC is an attractive substrate that doesn't disintegrate and plants root well in it... I say go for it...all the pros outweigh the cons!

Thanks for the info. If that is the case it would be better in the long run and worth the cost.

Yes I think so if your "goal" (as what Convict asked) is to dive in to planted tanks, then it's a good investment. If you're not too crazy about planted tanks and just want to stick with low light plants for instance, then sticking with sand is fine... I had 100% sand substrate in my low light planted tank and it did okay.

Last edited:
Yes I think so if your "goal" (as what Convict asked) was to dive in to planted tanks, then it's a good investment. If you're not too crazy about planted tanks and just want to stick with low light plants for instance, then sticking with sand is fine... I had 100% sand substrate in my low light planted tank and it did okay.

Well this question was actually for a establish tank. It a high tech tank. Here is it is here. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/40-breeder-planted-235957-6.html .

^^ Tank looks great. Plants look green and no algae.. How long has that tank been up with those plants?

^^ Tank looks great. Plants look green and no algae.. How long has that tank been up with those plants?

Thanks, the Tanks has been up for about 10 months. I have been adding and removing plants every couple months if it's not to my liking. It's been about a month with the way it is now

Back
Top Bottom