Changing Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How likely is the compacting to happen - meaning, is it inevitable without MTS? I can't keep them because of the slew of loaches I have. That might have tipped the scales there if that is a big problem.

Yeah, I really wish I could keep them alive, but I have 3 yoyo loaches in there, and they devour the little guys.

I don't have any loaches, but I've been considering getting some. My background reading on loaches tells me that many of the species are somewhat aggressive, but I seem to remember that Clown loaches aren't. Maybe a bigger tank with lots of snails and only 1 or 2 loaches would allow the snails to survive and keep the population going. It would be interesting to see about trying to achieve a balance between snail reproduction and loaches feasting on them.

I don't know - I had a clown loach, 3 yoyo's, and a burmese border loach all in a 75g with no non-food related agression. Nor did I see any inflicted wounds on any of my fish...but they clicked their barbs a lot when they found an algae wafer!

I do have 2 blueberry botias in with my cichlids, and the cichlids don't mess with them. And I have Lake Malawi Cichlids!

Oh, and I think that you would need only one loach and a huge snail population. The loaches just don't seem to stop eating them at all. They just keep going like the Energizer bunny. I got hundreds of them from my LFS, and I only had 1 clown loach, and the next morning there were less than 5 left...

How likely is the compacting to happen - meaning, is it inevitable without MTS? I can't keep them because of the slew of loaches I have. That might have tipped the scales there if that is a big problem.

I really can't answer that question, but I haven't heard of this problem before. It could be that I just never researched it enough, but I try and stay on top of problems that other people have.

There is a loach forum that says loaches cause trouble in planted tanks by uprooting the plants. To what extent is that true?

I would say "YES!". But in my case, I have playsand which offers almost no grip to stem plants in the first place, so...

That is part of the reason I want new substrate, so that it can hold in the stem plants better. I have no problems with loaches and heavy rooters like crypts and swords.

Back
Top Bottom