Charitys' Planted Tank Journey(log) WITH PICS!-Help Appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! This will be journey from -almost- the beginning of my journey to wherever (if ever) it ends.

This is a newly setup tank. Please do not ridicule me on cycling as I am well aware how to cycle. I am doing fish-in. I do a water-change every other day.

►Current Set-Up:
-Top Fin 5.5gallon Aquarium
-LED lighting that came with it
-DIY Sponge Filter
-5lbs Black Aquarium Gravel
-A few Java Fern
-Some Moneywort
-Ripped up Marimo Moss Ball
-1 Female Guppy (soon to be 2 or 3)
-1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco (I know it will need a bigger tank. I have a 30gallon in the works but couldn't pass up on the price of $4.25)

►Current Questions:
1)Can I use this soil (look at pics at the bottom) and cap it with my gravel?
2)Is my Java Fern going to make it (I think it is haha)?
3)What type of lighting do I have (low, medium, high, etc.)?
4)How would you go about getting the soil in (if use-able), with a stock already in the tank? I can empty completely and save most of the water however, I'm worried it will kill my fish as I've read it can screw with the levels in the tank.

►What you've all been waiting for-PICTURES! (dont hesitate to ask for more if you need/want more specific pics)
-Soil

-Full Tank Shot (the shells with the moss are no longer there. The moss is free drifting)

-Java Fern(2 different ones)

Java Fern looks pretty far gone. I'd toss it.

I don't know much about using substrates outside of the ones made for aquariums. I'd be very careful as often soils used in gardens will leach things for plants they might not be too good for fish.

Undoubtedly a standard LED will be low lighting.

Caleb

Is there a reason why you want to add the soil? You'd really have to break down the entire tank, add the soil, cap with gravel.

That particular bag contains peat moss which can affect pH. I'd also be concerned about the composted green waste and perlite.

For a small tank like yours. I would pull out all the stops and go with ADA aqua soil not only would it be beneficial to plant growth its also less messy to work with. As far as the light I would go with a small finnex fixture. Going with any finnex light would put you in the high light range for a 5gal so co2 would be a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies guys! Sad to hear the Java Fern is probably dead. I will let it sit a little longer as there are some new plants growing on a couple of the leaves. Also, I would like to keep this low tech as I'm currently "balling on a budget". The reason I want to do soil is because, after tons of reading, people seem to have better growth with the soil.

Charity

Thanks for the replies guys! Sad to hear the Java Fern is probably dead. I will let it sit a little longer as there are some new plants growing on a couple of the leaves. Also, I would like to keep this low tech as I'm currently "balling on a budget". The reason I want to do soil is because, after tons of reading, people seem to have better growth with the soil.

Charity

There's nothing wrong with soil. You do need to watch the soil ph though as mentioned. Positively charged H+ ions will prevent many of the positively charged cation elements that plants need from binding to the soil and taken in by the roots. Soil in general does have a decent cation exchange capacity but it is even better with red clay with also provides a source of iron. As for soil ph you can smash up some crushed coral and mix it with the soil or add some lime (be careful handling). I have just set up a 5 gallon with these three elements and plants are doing great with no co2 and low lighting.

Your lighting right now is almost certainly very low. Those stock LEDs are usually pretty bad, but should grow low light plants fine.

Make sure the java fern rhizome (thick fleshy 'root') is above the substrate. The smaller, real roots, can be buried though.

If you want to be cost effective get a cheap CFL, 13 watts, and a desk lamp of some sort. You can mess with the intensity until its at the right point by raising or lowering the light.

I have two no-low tech tanks that I consider heavily planted. One has gravel, the other has sand. I've done dirted tanks in the past and personally didn't notice a difference.

Thank you all for sticking with me!

There's nothing wrong with soil. You do need to watch the soil ph though as mentioned. Positively charged H+ ions will prevent many of the positively charged cation elements that plants need from binding to the soil and taken in by the roots. Soil in general does have a decent cation exchange capacity but it is even better with red clay with also provides a source of iron. As for soil ph you can smash up some crushed coral and mix it with the soil or add some lime (be careful handling). I have just set up a 5 gallon with these three elements and plants are doing great with no co2 and low lighting.

Referring to this ^^ could I crush up shells/pieces of coral I already have! Also, is it just any red clay?

I'm open to DIY CO2 however I need exact instructions for a tank my size if anyone can help with that?

What exact setup would I be looking at when it comes to CFLs? Price? What all is needed (would prefer a dome light or something that could sit on a plexi-glass top)? How many for high-light, etc?

I've decided that if I can do the CFL dome light I can get a piece of plexi-glass cut to size for less than $5.

When explaining the lighting/CO2 to me think, links, pics, simple terms. Once I understand the basics I can research further/ask more questions. Imagine explaining it to a 10year old.

Thanks again for all your help!

Charity

CFLs are pretty inexpensive. $5 per bulb. I think one 26w or two 13w bulbs would be plenty.
The tank is small enough in that dosing with API CO2 Booster or Seachem Excel should not be too costly. These would serve as an alternate to using CO2.
The key to a successful planted tank is a balance between light, CO2, and fertilizers. Light is the biggest factor. Increased light, then increased need for the other two. Less light, less need for CO2 and ferts.
High or even medium light can be tricky. You will need a consistent supply of CO2 and ferts. I would recommend starting with a low light tank and working your way up.

Well, you could buy a cheap desk lamp from target, Home Depot, or Walmart, and put a 13 watt CFL in it. The CFLs are cheap. I got a pack of 4 for $4. The desk lamp should be pretty cheap also, less than $20. Just make sure it is rated for 13 watts at least.

For DIY co2 there is plenty of info online. Basically yeast + water + sugar = co2 but you'll need to do research on that yourself. It's pretty simple.

There is also a citric acid and baking soda reaction (similar to vinegar and baking soda) that does the same thing but I don't know much about that.

Thank you all for sticking with me!

Referring to this ^^ could I crush up shells/pieces of coral I already have! Also, is it just any red clay?

I'm open to DIY CO2 however I need exact instructions for a tank my size if anyone can help with that?

What exact setup would I be looking at when it comes to CFLs? Price? What all is needed (would prefer a dome light or something that could sit on a plexi-glass top)? How many for high-light, etc?

I've decided that if I can do the CFL dome light I can get a piece of plexi-glass cut to size for less than $5.

When explaining the lighting/CO2 to me think, links, pics, simple terms. Once I understand the basics I can research further/ask more questions. Imagine explaining it to a 10year old.

Thanks again for all your help!

Charity

Any red clay should be fine. I think ameco is the popular brand on amazon. I just put some coral in s towel and went to town with a hammer. I couldn't get it all in to a powder but it looks good with the odd white piece here and there.

I would try to get good plant growth without co2 first. It can be done. Things to aid the plants with their carbon needs would be to add a siesta in the middle of the day that helps restore some carbon when the lights are off. Any organics in the state of decay will provide a source of carbon to your plants so water changes and vacuuming gravel would be removing the carbon source. Running activated carbon will take in organic substances again removing precious sources of carbon for the plants. You just have to play around with lighting, water changes and surface agitation. Plants will grow more slowly of course.

I have the very same tank. It is possible to grow low light plants with the stock light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So today I got another female guppy and a male. Also, an un identified plant (pics for identification coming soon). Also 3 tiny trumpet snails. With the clay, coral, and soil mixture, do I still need a cap? I'm debating between more plants, or a plexiglass lid tomorrow. Which would you get? Also, what do you mean my plants will grow slower, Caliban?

Charity

So today I got another female guppy and a male. Also, an un identified plant (pics for identification coming soon). Also 3 tiny trumpet snails. With the clay, coral, and soil mixture, do I still need a cap? I'm debating between more plants, or a plexiglass lid tomorrow. Which would you get? Also, what do you mean my plants will grow slower, Caliban?

Charity

With low light and limited co2 plants will naturally grow more slowly than higher tech injected co2 tanks. Healthy growth is the main thing.

I would always cap. Gravel is better in my opinion as sand is finer and can compact which can create anaerobic pockets. Your plants will root better too and the cap will help prevent clouding the water when uprooting plants.

Sorry I havent updated this in a few days. All livestock is doing well. The java ferns havent shown much change. They will be in there until the rhizome dies which, I believe, is still alive. The moneywort is doing great. The ripped up moss ball seems to be dying. I'm contemplating moving it into my 1 gallon snail tank. No changes in lighting/substrate yet. I've been crazy busy working with a flood relief team in South Carolina.

Anyway, can anyone identify this plant? It's root system is amazing. So far it seems to be doing well.

Back
Top Bottom