Cheap but effectively lighting for a planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some inexpensive aquarium lights that are effective at growing low and medium light intensity plants (but also look good and bring out fish colors) that you guys use? I currently have an LED kit that came with marineland 29 gallon kit but I've heard it's inadequate.

It's dimensions are 30 x 12 x 18 inches, the hood is 30 x12 inches. Thanks.

What's your budget?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm new to planted tanks so I'm not exactly sure of the price ranges, so I don't have a "budget", just looking for affordable yet effective lights. Also, I don't know how to install the lights on my hood so I'm literally completely new. Just any suggestions and advice would be great. I heard Finnex planted+ is great but it's sort of pricey and doesn't seem to have a lot of watts.

Finnex planted plus and a glass top is the best you're going to do for med. Light plants.

Finnex planted plus and a glass top is the best you're going to do for med. Light plants.

Ok I'll look into that further. What do you mean by a glass top?

You wont be able to use that cheap plastic lid the kit came with while using an aftermarket plant light. So you have to decide if you're going to want it covered (then get a glass lid) or uncovered then no lid required.

Also drop the Watts per Gallon rule, you should be looking at PAR ratings. Watts was an old style of thinking back in the day and does not apply to LED. PAR is how strong the light is when it reaches the bottom of the tank. 0-30 PAR would be around low light category, 30-55 would be about medium, 55+ would be high lighting.

More experienced people please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok guys I have a few questions:

What's the difference between the finnex planted+ and the 24/7? Is the 24/7 the same light with customizable settings?

Do I need a top for my aquarium with the light or can I just leave the light an the top open?

Is the Finnex planted+ good for growing all light intensity plants?

Thanks again yall

I have the 24/7 and its dimmable so you can lower the PAR of the light. No you can run without a lid but you do run the risk of jumping fish.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok guys I have a few questions:

What's the difference between the finnex planted+ and the 24/7? Is the 24/7 the same light with customizable settings?

Do I need a top for my aquarium with the light or can I just leave the light an the top open?

Is the Finnex planted+ good for growing all light intensity plants?

Thanks again yall

Consider searching around a bit?? Plenty of info on here..

Consider searching around a bit?? Plenty of info on here..

I've done a lot of researching about this stuff throughout the forum and internet, but the information is overwhelming. I'd like some advice from experienced aquarists that can offer advice on my particular setup.

So, for a 29 gallon tank (18" deep), the planted+ is better than the RAY II? I'm looking for a low-tech, low maintenance tank that still thrives.

Also, for choosing the size, do I purchase the one that's the exact length of the aquarium? My tank is 30 inches long so I buy the size 30? Thanks

I've done a lot of researching about this stuff throughout the forum and internet, but the information is overwhelming. I'd like some advice from experienced aquarists that can offer advice on my particular setup.

So, for a 29 gallon tank (18" deep), the planted+ is better than the RAY II? I'm looking for a low-tech, low maintenance tank that still thrives.

Also, for choosing the size, do I purchase the one that's the exact length of the aquarium? My tank is 30 inches long so I buy the size 30? Thanks

You're fine. There's nothing wrong about asking about things that you may be uncertain about. If I were you, I'd buy the Finnex Planted+ 24/7, even though it is on backorder. That way, you can adjust the lighting to dim it to low lighting. For the last question, the answer is yes. You'll want to purchase the 30 inch fixture. Good luck!

If you want cheap and effective lighting, look into using CFL bulbs in dome reflectors. 6500K is the best color temp. A couple years ago I ran a very successful high tech tank using these bulbs. I used two 20w bulbs over a 40b.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom