cheap pc lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased some cheap pc lights from ebay. For about a month, I had great plant growth with intense colors. Now, my plants aren't hardly growing at all. I've maintained the same amount of fert IE dosing and everything. Adding, now algae is also growing out of control.

Could it be that my (very cheap) lights have already lost their intensity? If so, where can I find reasonably priced 65W pc lights?

cheap bulbs maybe?

ive got pc bulbs from drs foster & smith but i would highly reccommend ah supply
i got a 2x55w kit and it wasn't too hard to put together, their reflectors are so good that you only need 55s to cause as much if not more light than 65s to be reflected into your aquarium

i would back off on the ferts until your lighting situation is under control

exactly what kind of light did you buy and what size is your tank

I'm seriously considering AH supplies. I'll just retrofit the reflectors into my system. I know that they are great lights since I have them in another tank. Its just that the lights are kinda expensive. I say this because I'll have to buy four 55W lights along with the reflectors and the ballasts. Plus I have to buy four more lights for my other tank. Those expenses certainly add up, but at least its only about once a year.

I think that it will be worth it considering what is happening to the cheap lights I purchased.

i agree, they are expensive...i just bought two 6700k 55w replacement bulbs and it was almost $50 but i can handle that once a year

maybe you could just replace the bulbs in the unit you bought, if they are straight pin that is

IMO it's not the lights. It sounds like too much Fert. IE algae out of control. I use the least expensitive I can find on E-bay on my reef tanks. They last me about 1 year +/- 10 %.

Too much fertilization certainly could explain why I am having this algae bloom, but why would my sunset hygro lose its color? It is changing from a deep pink back to green. Its not even pink near the top of the tank anymore.

Excess NO3 will cause red plants to go green in some cases. Your algal problems are likely caused by a DEFICIENCY of a macro nutrient though.

Just a WAG but I would increase K dosing. The most common EI recipes dose little K. K deficiency can cause N or PO4 to not be taken up by plants allowing them to build up.

Excess macros or cheap lights will NOT cause algae problems. I have both instances on 3 active tanks that are 98% or better algae free.

Look at CO2, look for a macro deficiency, do a couple of extra water changes to reset the tank.

What type of algae is taking off in your tank? Different inbalances will let different types take hold.

I'll just 'reset' my tank by doing a couple water changes. I think that the problem might be that I did get great growth with my plants immediately after I purchased my lights. I didn't compensate for the increased intake of nutrients from my plants when they started growing faster. Potassium could be the culprit, so I'll increase dosing.

Oh yeah, about the algae....it is thread algae I think. I also think I have black beard intertwined with the tread algae. It isn't affecting the plants, but is taking over my driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom