Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cherry Barbs

Just wondering if anybody is keeping Cherry Barbs in their planted tanks? I want to add a nice school to the 220g but it's been probably 15 years since I kept them and can't remember if they bothered my plants or not. I know they are plant and algae nibblers. So anyone who has them let me know if they leave the plants in your tank alone. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have some in my mom's 26g. They don't really bother the plants any. I've noticed them pic off some plants, but I believe that was algae and not the actual plant. They are certainly fun to watch... very active swimmers, especially chasing each other around the tank in their antics.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Just wondering if anybody is keeping Cherry Barbs in their planted tanks? I want to add a nice school to the 220g but it's been probably 15 years since I kept them and can't remember if they bothered my plants or not. I know they are plant and algae nibblers. So anyone who has them let me know if they leave the plants in your tank alone. Thanks for the help!
I have ten in my 75 gallon and they've done fine with plants.like Brian said they will pick at algae on your plants though mine love bba especially.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
I have ten in my 75 gallon and they've done fine with plants.like Brian said they will pick at algae on your plants though mine love bba especially.
I was thinking maybe 15 or even 20 as I find behavior is so interesting when you can keep large groups of fish. I just decided since I haven't had them for years and I don't have much in the way of red fish that I'd get some again. But I do have some more pricey plants that I don't want anyone nibbling on. I do add blanched zucchini every other day hung on a couple veggie clips so the BNP, Whiptail cats, and Angels can munch on so maybe they will enjoy that too!

Tags
barb, barbs, cherry, cherry barb, cherry barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com