Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok im new to this thing but if i put in
.75 KN03
and
.75 K2S04

they dont come out the same in grams

now i dont know about you but .75 in eather one should be
the same in grams on both right?

Don't take it wrong but it is basic chemistry. The molecular weight of the atoms is a lot different in the two compounds so each will have different amounts of K in them. Also, due to the molecular weight, .75 tsp of each will weigh different. Kind of like a tsp of lead or a tsp of salt. And don't feel bad, I looked at them when i got them and thought they all look like salts and was just as confused.

If you tell us what the .75 measurement is in we can give you more accurate conversions, from your question I assume it is .75 tsp.

I'm a little usnure about what you mean. If I am guessing correctly you are comparing .75 teaspoons of KNO3 and .75 teaspons of K2SO4. Is that correct? The difference here is that they do not have the same density.

ahhh did not know that kool and all thats all out of my league
tho i am learning all that i can
anyways

i did the first conversion myself
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week .75
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week .19
+/- 1/4 tsp K2S04 3x a week .25
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week .25

let me know if anything is wrong i like to know how to correct my mistakes

Just so others in here know what the tank size is, what is the tank size? I thinkI know from other threads, but for others to help, it's a valuable piece of info.

So that would be dosing as follows:
KNO3 - 8.2ppm 3x weekly
KH2PO4 - 2.4ppm 3x weekly
K2SO4 - 2.2ppm 3x weekly
I'm not good with traces calcs, will let someone else check that.....

Sounds like 1 possible problem, needing a little more Potassium. Sounds like what I've been dosing, and keep getting algae, as my nitrate dosing is lower than yours, and my Potassium is about at your level, maybe a tad lower. I'm looking at bumping my nitrate dosing up to what you're suggesting, for a total of 20-25ppm per week, divided into 3 equal doses. I'm also considering only dosing the Phosphates only 1 time a week at about the same level your at. Will see what others say now....

Well i stopped doing Phosphates because mine are off the chart
and im not saying that to be funny
i cant see through the vile im doing PWC to bring it down
also just added Co2 tonight
so at 96watt x 4 PC lights on an 80 Gal
with no Co2 and HIGH Phosphates
lets just say iv never seen such green water befor

but Co2 installed trying to get the Phosphates down

i did notice that my nitrates where down which is good cause they where high
but i know the plants are useing them now now that i actualy have to dose nitrates

*EDIT* is this worth it?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...hate&In=Fish&previousText=Phosphate&N=2023693

Back
Top Bottom