Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Cladophora algae

Here is a new one for me.

Every since going to medium light many months ago, I have had Cladophora algae all through my HC and mosses. I have went back to high-light a couple of months ago, but I can't seem to get ride of this algae.

I don't know what started it. I would have to assume that lowering the light and not knowing where I needed to dose at that point helped the algae spores develop.

But my question is:

How do you get ride of it, or what eats it? I have been manually removing it for months now. It a PITA because it's growing in with my HC and that makes it REALLY hard to remove without throwing out a bunch of HC everytime.

It is also clogging my intake every week now.

It is only in one corner of my tank and has been this way for MANY months.

I just hate looking at it everyday and especially when it's pearling!!

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I have been battling clado in almost all my planted tanks for awhile. This stuff is relentless and almost nothing kills it.

I have had some luck with double dosing excel everyday in my 29g. It has definitely slowed the growth. I also hand pick out whatever I see and it doesn't grow back as fast as it was. I have also slowed down on my fert dosing (just forget sometimes) and it could be coincidence, but it seems to help as well.

I have tried double dosing excel in my 5.5g planted, but am not faithful in dosing daily. The clado comes back just days after picking it out of the entire tank.

I've read that clado likes all the conditions plants do, so its so hard to get rid of.

Quote:
I just hate looking at it everyday and especially when it's pearling!!
I hate looking at it too....and I hate the smell of it when I pull it out. Its terrible!

Good luck! And if you start to see some good results, let us know what you did!

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red cherry shrimp and other Neocaridina spp. seem to love the stuff. I'm not sure how many it would take to wipe out the problem but I'm guessing they could help out a bit unless you've got shrimpivores in your tank
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis simonson
Red cherry shrimp and other Neocaridina spp. seem to love the stuff. I'm not sure how many it would take to wipe out the problem but I'm guessing they could help out a bit unless you've got shrimpivores in your tank
Thanks for the suggestion. As much as I would love to have some cherry shrimp in this tank, so would my knife fish.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com