clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I have a 169l tank.
I have 5 otto's
6 red cherry shrimp (hopefully breeding more soon)
1 amano shrimp
1 nerite
UNFORTUNATELY lots of pond snails and 1 assassin snail to combad pond snails.

I have a planted tank and am just wondering do u guys think this is enough? I do have algae problems as I am still finding the right balance of light co2 and ferts etc but do I need a bigger crew?
Cheers all.

I wouldn't rely on algae eaters to solve algae problems. They're great for very mild issues and the normal accumulation of algae in a planted tank, but not good at addressing a real imbalance issue. You would be better served directly addressing the root causes.

I'd be worried about starving the oto's out after a balance is found.

I also agree you have a good cleanup crew.

Oto's eat alot of biofilm which is plentiful in a planted tank so they should do fine. As far as getting more I'd say you don't need anymore but a couple more nerites and amano's would be fine if you just want them.

I realize that oto's eat biofilm, but if there was always a plentiful amount of biofilm in a tank, you wouldn't have starvation related deaths, even in planted tanks I don't believe there is always enough of this biofilm and supplemental feed may be required.

Oto's are hit and miss with the stress level deaths, but I don't feel that my point should be invalidated just because its a planted tank.

Not trying to be disrespectful, just saying my side.

Also, the poster says they have an assassin snail in there, so eventually you may lose the nerites, correct?

Yeah as soon as the pond snail population gets really low. Im going to put the assassin in my hospital tank.

Yeah I agree I need to find the correct balance too. Just wanted some backup that the cleanup crew balance was right.

Thanks guys.

I have read up on algae but do u guys have any tips on finding that balance. I am constantly tweeking things but I rid one problem and get another at the moment. (first aquascape layout)

My cuba wasnt growing but my algae was ok so my photoperiod is longer now and my cuba is doing well but have algae. Is it just a case of finding the happy medium or do I need do do something different?

Yes oto's are hit and miss and I too am just giving my opinion. I've found once you get over the acclimation point and the oto's make it for about 4 weeks in a tank they seem to do fine. I have kept oto's alot over the years and have yet to see them eat any supplimental food in "my" tanks. So they basically exsist on bio-film and the small amount of algae that occurs naturally in my tanks of which all happen to be planted.

I use albino catfish and pepper cories in my tanks. For the algae, I use pink ramshorn snails(have more than 100 snails). Together, they have done a wonderful job.:D

Back
Top Bottom