Cleaning gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela1108

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this will sound pretty stupid I am sure. I've only ever done a mix of live and fake plants. We are planning on switching out 55g over to all plants.

Now when I do our water changes with the gravel vaccuum thing I usually would go around the few live plants I had. In a heavily planted tank how do you clean? Just go around really delicately? I don't want to accidentally uproot everything. Or if you get enough plants especially a carpet of plants can you skip and just pull the water from the top instead

With my fake plants if I move them sucking stuff up oh well. Just fix it after.

Usually, the gravel won't need but a skim off the top, in the open areas of the planted tank.

That's sort of what I figured. Since it is a 55 gallon we will probably swap a couple plants a week. When it was partially planted and partially fake I was figuring using the gravel thing just around the fake ones

In that aspect it seems like it makes the tank easier!! :)

Usually, the gravel won't need but a skim off the top, in the open areas of the planted tank.

I do the same with my planted tank. You never know where a plant's roots could venture to and it is always best not to disturb any plants. Also, you might have stuff that will decompose into the substrate, which will help with fertilization.

Back
Top Bottom