Cleaning Substrate When Substrate is Fully Covered in Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beauxarts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I set up my 39gal tank last fall I have slowly been moving into the world of planted tanks by having both planted and plastic plants. Eventually I would like to move towards having a fully planted tank, which would include a grass like plant completely (or mostly) covering the substrate.

Now here is the question. Currently during my PWC I use a siphon to remove the debris from the gravel, which I believe is pretty standard. But when you have this type of plant growth do you just forgo cleaning the gravel all together or is there another technique I am unaware of?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can also get Cory's. They do a bang-up job in my tank since I can't get to the substrate in pretty much 95% of my 55g. They take care of everything for me.

Thanks for this thread OP I have been wondering myself how that is done. :) What about taller plants? Can you just go 'between' them or something?

Yeah, you can go between them or just hover over them if there is something on the plants....or just take out water without vacuuming. I usually try to vacuum up fish waste that settles on the plant leaves.

Back
Top Bottom